1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is she broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lablover, Jul 23, 2014.

1. lablover

lablover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2012
    I know, I didn't explain it well. I really appreciate you helping me though! Here is the tractor.[​IMG] (old picture) It is 8x4. A tarp covers most of it, so it's pretty dark in the box. The big coop has a run that can be divided in case I need to separate chickens. The tractor can connect to the end of the run that is cut off with the dividing fence.
    I don't mind letting her do this, because I've never had one hatch chicks before. I don't expect much from it, but if she's offering, I'm going to let her do it. When I checked her today, she had 3 eggs and the 2 balls under her. So if I mover her tonight, I'll just take the half bucket she's in and secure it in the tractor's nest box.

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    This looks like a good setup. Gives her room to go to the bathroom and stretch a little bit. And it will give the chicks a safe place to run around with momma. If she's still on the nest, I'd say she's ready for eggs. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. lablover

Apr 7, 2012
    Thank you! It's so exciting to think about lol!
    Since she already has 3 eggs under her, should I leave those with her? Hopefully with her out of the favorite nest, the others will lay more tomorrow. I plan to put as many as I can under her from what I get tomorrow and the next day. Would that be okay?

4. ShinShien

ShinShien Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2013
    Alabama
    I've got a black australorp sitting in a dog crate on 5 golf balls. How long do I wait to know if she's serious?

5. Realtree4

Realtree4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2014
    Ohio

I would try to keep the eggs not so staggered....meaning, collect as much as you want and then put then under her at least within a day or so. I would be very hesitant on a staggered hatch over 3 days. I gave 9 eggs to my last broody all on the same day and the hatch still lasted 2 days. And mamma took them off the nest within hours of the last one hatched. I don't know what would happen to a hatch that was spread out more?

I would give her two days/nights to know if she's serious.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  6. lablover

Apr 7, 2012
    Ok. Well the move didn't go so well. It was dark, but she moved anyways and roosted on the edge of the box. She ended up having 6 eggs under her, but one busted. She did show interest in putting them back under her, but I guess the move was too much. I'd like to keep her in the tractor for a day or so to see if she tries again. [​IMG]

7. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    I would take the eggs away and just give her the golfballs. She has to prove that she's committed before she gets new eggs. Collect eggs for 2 days and if she's still hanging in there give her the eggs.

8. lablover

Apr 7, 2012
    Well she just wasn't having it being in the tractor. I turned her lose, and she marched straight to the big coop. She kicked the hen off that favorite nest box and settled down on three golf balls that I had already placed there ahead of time. I'm thinking that I may just have to somehow block that area off for her.
    [​IMG]
    This is the big coop. There's roosting bars in the left corner, and the nest boxes in the right. (The buckets in there are not what is in there now.) If I just divide that whole right section, I can put food and water on that side. But then I'll have to find a new nesting area for the other hens. It shouldn't be too hard, because they've laid on the ground several times before lol!

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Last year I had a very determined broody. Of course, she chose to set in the favorite nest box and refused to move. I moved her 3 different times - at night - and all 3 times in the morning she was pacing and upset, not willing at all to sit where I put her. So, I gave up and let her have the nest she wanted. Fortunately, I can separate the 2 sides of my coop. One thing you could do, if you needed to keep them all together, is mark the eggs you want her to hatch. Then check her nest daily to take out the extras. If you can divide the coop, all the better. Some do keep their broodies in with the flock, but I've never had good luck with that. It does work to introduce them to the flock right after they're hatched, though, while mama is still hormonal and VERY protective.

10. ShinShien

ShinShien Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2013
    Alabama
    I can't stand it! I wanna go stick the eggs under the australorp now, but I'm trying to wait until nightfall to see if she's really serious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by