1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is she eating them?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mackenziesmomma, May 14, 2009.

1. mackenziesmomma

mackenziesmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    As of Monday, my broody hen has been sitting on eggs for 3 weeks. Some eggs were added along the way (pencil rubs off eggs so I just left all the eggs in the nest).

She is now by herself in a cage within the coop.

This morning when I checked on her I noticed there were a few broken shells but no little chickies.

Where'd they go? Could she be eating them?

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    She could be but if anything is eating them, I would bet it is other chickens if they chicks are able to get out of the cage. If in a dogcrate type cage and the chicks can squeeze through, other chickens might just see something small running and grab it. ? If they can not get out, I have heard of moms not taking very good care of youngins, but that is usaully rare.

3. mackenziesmomma

mackenziesmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    thanks for the reply. It is a plastic type dog crate on top of another cage, so the chicks can't get out.

How disapointing... [​IMG]

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Could they(the broken eggs) have possibly been a newer egg that happened to get broken or an older one that didnt develope? Hopeing for the best. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by