Is she impacted?

OrpDotes

Chirping
Apr 9, 2018
Hey y’all,
Haven’t posted on here for a while. Anyhow I went out this morning to collect eggs as usual and one of the hens was acting strangely. We haven’t had chicken food for a couple days hope to run out and get some however have been feeding them with cereal, bread and bananas for calcium. We let them free range all they want as we don’t have any predator issues in our area. Anyhow, one of the girls had separated herself from the flock and was acting strangely. She wasn’t not eating or drinking (she is drinking now) and kind of wattling around, it looked like she was in pain. Later we saw her lay what looked like a long egg without a shell. After seeing this I checked her vent and there was some feces and what looked like egg mucus as well. I feel pretty guilty and am just really hoping she’s not impacted. I’ll post pics of the weird egg and her vent if she’ll let me. What should I do? Thanks so much!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    607.9 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 13
Ahe is having some glitch in her oviduct, possibly with her shell gland in the oviduct or low calcium levels, or impacted oviduct. I would give her some source of calcium now, either a human calcium tablet, Tums, a ground egg including the shell to get some calcium and vitamin D3 into her. D3 is in the yolk, so if you give Tums, give some egg as well. Since you saw egg material as well, you may want to consider giving her some antibiotics such as Baytril (enrofloxacin,) available online for pigeons, to try and prevent infection. Here is a link:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/misc/

Ahe is having some glitch in her oviduct, possibly with her shell gland in the oviduct or low calcium levels, or impacted oviduct. I would give her some source of calcium now, either a human calcium tablet, Tums, a ground egg including the shell to get some calcium and vitamin D3 into her. D3 is in the yolk, so if you give Tums, give some egg as well. Since you saw egg material as well, you may want to consider giving her some antibiotics such as Baytril (enrofloxacin,) available online for pigeons, to try and prevent infection. Here is a link:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/misc/
Thanks for the quick response running to the feed store to get some clacium and feed. I’ll see about antibiotic too.

Look up lash egg
I looked it up. Really hoping it’s not a lash egg. When I looked at it it was full of what looked like egg white wasn’t solid at all and was see through. It appears that some of the other chicken ate it which is worrying. :( She is not looking well staying away from the flock and lying down a lot. Any advice for treatment? Thanks for the response.

White liquid is now leekkng out of the vent it looks like she’s trying to lay. Getting worried she might be passing. Keeps closing her eyes.

This is now hanging from the vent. I don’t know if there’s anyway she can make it and obviously don’t want her to suffer. Would you suggest we just cull or is there any hope.

Attachments

• 81C22503-3064-4059-9D44-B8BB7CE63CB3.jpeg
    81C22503-3064-4059-9D44-B8BB7CE63CB3.jpeg
    535.8 KB · Views: 10
I looked it up. Really hoping it’s not a lash egg. When I looked at it it was full of what looked like egg white wasn’t solid at all and was see through. It appears that some of the other chicken ate it which is worrying. :( She is not looking well staying away from the flock and lying down a lot. Any advice for treatment? Thanks for the response.
Antibiotic or vitamins is all you can do

They seem to feel miserable when they have eggs break inside and experience these impacted oviduct problems. It does not look like a lash egg. Feel inside her vent with a finger about an inch to check for any egg membrane or egg material inside. Hopefully, when she passes what is in there, she may feel better. Here is some reading about impacted oviduct, and note that there is also a list of other reproductive disorders that you can click on to read about:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...tem/egg-bound-or-impacted-oviducts-in-poultry

Back
Top Bottom