Is she impacted?

Ahe is having some glitch in her oviduct, possibly with her shell gland in the oviduct or low calcium levels, or impacted oviduct. I would give her some source of calcium now, either a human calcium tablet, Tums, a ground egg including the shell to get some calcium and vitamin D3 into her. D3 is in the yolk, so if you give Tums, give some egg as well. Since you saw egg material as well, you may want to consider giving her some antibiotics such as Baytril (enrofloxacin,) available online for pigeons, to try and prevent infection. Here is a link:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/misc/
Alright thanks i’ll Run out and try to grab some. Should I try to wash the gunk off?

Here’s a better pick of what we’re dealing with. She’s going into the nest box now trying to get it out. I’m just worried about hurting if I try to get it out myself. I’ll try it if that’s what y’all think is best.

Attachments

• 01D8E378-9077-436A-8C72-EBB7BE2FBC1D.jpeg
    01D8E378-9077-436A-8C72-EBB7BE2FBC1D.jpeg
    528.5 KB · Views: 5
It looks like more egg membrane and egg material. Remove it and do the vent check with your finger. She should be okay in a day or two, hopefully. This happens often in some hens. It can lesd to internal laying. Try to give her some fluids with electrolytes, and get some calcium into her. As said earlier, if you have a food processor, you can take a whole egg shell and all, cooked or raw, and whiz it to feed her some calcium with vitamin D.

It looks like more egg membrane and egg material. Remove it and do the vent check with your finger. She should be okay in a day or two, hopefully. This happens often in some hens. It can lesd to internal laying. Try to give her some fluids with electrolytes, and get some calcium into her. As said earlier, if you have a food processor, you can take a whole egg shell and all, cooked or raw, and whiz it to feed her some calcium with vitamin D.
Alright will do.

No, do not flush the vent. Since the oviduct and large intestine meet in the vent, you could flush fecal bacteria up into the oviduct. There are some old posts recommending that on BYC, and one was mine unfortuantely. Just remove anything with your finger, and wear a disposable glove if you have one.

Back
Top Bottom