Is she in pain, should I just put her down now.

zeiset777

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 5, 2013
Gratz, Pennsylvania
So yesterday I was taking my dog for a walk and I noticed one of my hens in the neighbors yard. I took the dog home and went to check on her cause it was around 7pm and all the other hens were heading towards the coop. (I lock them up at night, the area I live in is full of predators)

As I went to pick her up she ran and hid under a bush. Her running was more of a staggering drunk like run. I got her from under the bush and noticed a pretty big cut on her head, just in front of her comb. I loaded it up with neosporin and grabbed some food water and an old blanket and put her in the basement. She has eaten very few pieces of food I didn't notice her drink yet, but she could have I don't know.

Today while spending time with her she seems top heavy. I picked her up, put neosporin on her head and when I set her down she kind of seems dizzy and tips forward. Her chest seems big. The bone in the front seems like it may be bulging out, but when I push on it, her head goes up and the sinks back kind of like the other chickens.

She mostly just sits or stands around and does a lot of resting.

If she's not going to make it or if her bones are messed up I just want to put her down. She doesn't do a whole lot of squawking or clucking unless I move close to her in a quick manner.

Ideas?

Does her chest look bulged out like there is air collecting under the skin, or is it bone that is bulging out in her chest? She may be acting drunk because her brain was injured or she has some internal injuries. You can offer her scramble eggs or put some water on her chicken feed to moisten them which may get her to eat.

I think it's her bone thats making her chest push out. When I hold her it seems normal. When she sits is when it looks like her chest is buff. Will scrambled eggs appeal to her more then her food that would want her to make her eat it over her feed? She has pecked at her food once or twice.

She does a lot of laying down, but I can't tell if she's in pain or not. If she's in pain I'm just going to end it for her, but if it's possible she'll recover I'll keep trying.

Last edited:
It sounds like she may have internal injuries that are making her chest enlarged. If that is true, she may not make it. I would see how she does through the night. If she eats and drinks, she may make it, but if she gets into too much pain I would probably not let her suffer.

She seems a little better this morning movement wise, when I came in the basement she clucked and when I set her outside she ran a few feet. She has eaten again, just very little. I cannot tell if she is drinking or not. If she is drinking it's barely anything.

I put her back in the basement and she just stood there still not moving much.

After work today I'm going to take her outside again in the sun.

More ideas or suggestions will be considered. Anyway to tell if shes in pain?

Does her chest look bulged out like there is air collecting under the skin, or is it bone that is bulging out in her chest? She may be acting drunk because her brain was injured or she has some internal injuries. You can offer her scramble eggs or put some water on her chicken feed to moisten them which may get her to eat.
Okay I got time to really spend some time with her and check her out. The bone is bulging out, but there is also air or something collecting under the skin. I pulled feathers out of the way and noticed some discoloration of the skin and air that was bulging the chest out. What does this mean?

Her walking has gotten better but still a little feeble when she walks.

UPDATE: My neighbor came by today and apologized for hitting one of my chickens. So it's been hit by a car. Probably at 20-25mph. So that my help with the air pocket question and bulging bone like lump on her chest.

Last edited:
Sometimes when chickens are injured there can be a leak in an air sac under the skin. This is subcutaneous emphysema. Chickens have lungs, but they have air sacs all over their bodies that even connect to their bones. That is what makes them able to fly. When these air sacs leak after being injured, the air can leak under the skin and put pressure on vital organs. Since she has made it this far, she may be okay. Some people will choose to remove this air with a needle and syringe if it puts too much pressure on an organ, or gets too big. You can also just watch it and let the air be reabsorbed by the body over time if it's not too bad. If she can eat, drink, and get around a bit she may do alright. Temp her with protein and eggs, tuna, or meat.

Back
Top Bottom