Is she normal?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
Awhile back I posted about Lil' Bit acting broody-ish, but it only lasted about a day.
Still, ever since that time she's become a nest hog. She sits on a nest at least 5 hrs. a day. Is that normal?
I don't think she's truly broody because she will eventually leave the nest and join the flock outside.

How long has it been since she started laying eggs? My birds always seem to stay longer once their laying cycle is close to being over . Maybe you just have a lazy chicken?

Thanks Cyn.
I kinda suspected that's what it was going to lead to. She's always growled at me when she's sitting on a nest. Now she's started growling at her sisters too; the minute they walk in the coop.

Quote:
Lil' Bit started laying in her 7th month, if I recall correctly. She's a few weeks shy of a year old now.

So she should be ready for a molt and a break from laying pretty soon. She could definately try to go broody if she is going to be a "motherly" bird. Unfortunately I haven't had one for years....

I'm not trying to hijack here, but I have a Buff Orpington who has been laying since the first of January and today refuses to get up off the nest. I managed to get one egg out from under her, but she's sitting on everybody else's eggs too (probably 4 or 5). I don't have any roosters. Can she be broody???

If so, do I just put on my gloves and nab the eggs out from under her?

Quote:
If she's gone broody and it would be useless for her to be (no rooster) then I would suggest you remove her and the eggs from the nest.
If she still insists on sitting on an empty nest, you may have to isolate her. Put her in a cage, with no nesting materials whatsoever and wait her out.
There are other methods used for breaking a broody. Just do use the search feature.

Last edited:
you could order some fertile eggs to hatch or seperate her in a wire cage off of the floor with only food and water and no nest/bedding to make a nest to break her of broodiness. It seems to me that broodiness is breed and individual bird specific. I used to have game hens and they were really broody birds. We had a lot of fun letting them hatch eggs and stuff , but now I only have mainly production egg-layers and they never really seem to go broody
sad.png

Quote:
Here's what I do... I distract her with a treat, and grab for the eggs, and then I rub her tummy so she knows I am not the enemy... (they love worms)

Back
Top Bottom