Is she okay? What is this?

Garlic is in the Allium family and there is a chemical oxidant in garlic and onions that in large quantities can be toxic to poultry. But as @Loving my girls mentioned, it is fed to poultry all the time in modest amounts as a natural antibiotic with no problem.

It sounds like our patient has a blockage in the oviduct. If the odor is acrid and unpleasant, and the discharge is thin and watery and slightly white, that's a sign she needs more calcium. If the discharge is yellow, it means infection may be already a problem and she would need a real antibiotic. You would need to ask a vet for the med.

What is your reason for allowing the eggs to accumulate rather than picking them up each day?

No reason besides she won’t let me 😂 She comes out maybe once a day to eat for like a MAX of 5 min and if she sees me walk towards it she’ll run in there. Barely enough time for the photo, she’s already ready to walk in. She’s wild and appeared in our yard so we take care of her but I’ve never touched her except once with some tongs to test her behavior and she screamed at me. Any tips to move her appreciated, at this point I’m thinking of tipping that blue coop part over and just forcing it because I can’t imagine how awful it must be for her to keep breathing that in. Also the problem with getting to clean her cage because she won’t move. I’m assuming the smell could be the eggs have gone bad but the fresh egg smelled bad too. That one she laid in the “run” so I could grab it. You’re right about the substance it is thin white and smelly. I haven’t seen yellow but again, I don’t pick her up so I don’t know for sure but it certainly isn’t running down her leg like it was. Is the off brand tums (calcium carbonate) okay for continuous use and for how long is it okay?

Last edited:
No reason besides she won’t let me 😂 She comes out maybe once a day to eat for like a MAX of 5 min and if she sees me walk towards it she’ll run in there. Barely enough time for the photo, she’s already ready to walk in. She’s wild and appeared in our yard so we take care of her but I’ve never touched her except once with some tongs to test her behavior and she screamed at me. Any tips to move her appreciated, at this point I’m thinking of tipping that blue coop part over and just forcing it because I can’t imagine how awful it must be for her to keep breathing that in. Also the problem with getting to clean her cage because she won’t move. I’m assuming the smell could be the eggs have gone bad but since it was so rapid and right after the incident I’m a bit worried for her maybe having an infection. Also the fresh egg smelled bad too. That one she laid in the run so I could grab it. You’re right about the substance it is thin white and smelly. I haven’t seen yellow but again, I don’t pick her up so I don’t know for sure but it certainly isn’t running down her leg like it was. Is the off brand tums (calcium carbonate) okay for continuous use and for how long is it healthy?
One thing to keep in mind is if chickens always have an egg to lay on they may stop producing eggs for a while.

If you intend to keep this hen, it's time to manage her properly. Chickens are domestic animals, and unlike cats and dogs, they will not revert to the wild. With the exception of a few breeds, they require the kind of care all farm animals require. Fortunately, it doesn't take much to get a chicken to trust you if you're willing to spend a bit of time each day for a few days.

First of all, please collect all of the eggs you see. Do not be intimidated. She may peck your hand, but it doesn't hurt that much. Use gloves if you need to. The bad smell equals bacteria, and you need to get rid of all sources of it. After you collect the eggs and dispose of them, clean out all soiled material in the nest boxes where she's been sitting. Replace with fresh.

As for the hen, you do need to treat her with more calcium. The smelly discharge is typical of material that needs to be expelled from the oviduct. The calcium encourages the contractions necessary for this. The only trouble with Tums is the sugar and flavoring in it. Go ahead and give her one, and then next time you get to Walmart pick up some of this.
P1010010.jpeg
To make friends with a chicken, start by offering a treat off your hand. Gradually move on to touching and stroking the breast or front of the neck. When you offer treats, make her come closer each time. Soon you can train her to come to you if you use an audible cue each time. Chickens learn quickly to come when they associate a particular sound with a treat. Once she is coming to you, pick her up and hold her often. Some chickens learn to crave this closeness with a human, and they rival dogs and cats in liking affection.

If you intend to keep this hen, it's time to manage her properly. Chickens are domestic animals, and unlike cats and dogs, they will not revert to the wild. With the exception of a few breeds, they require the kind of care all farm animals require. Fortunately, it doesn't take much to get a chicken to trust you if you're willing to spend a bit of time each day for a few days.

First of all, please collect all of the eggs you see. Do not be intimidated. She may peck your hand, but it doesn't hurt that much. Use gloves if you need to. The bad smell equals bacteria, and you need to get rid of all sources of it. After you collect the eggs and dispose of them, clean out all soiled material in the nest boxes where she's been sitting. Replace with fresh.

As for the hen, you do need to treat her with more calcium. The smelly discharge is typical of material that needs to be expelled from the oviduct. The calcium encourages the contractions necessary for this. The only trouble with Tums is the sugar and flavoring in it. Go ahead and give her one, and then next time you get to Walmart pick up some of this. View attachment 3776377To make friends with a chicken, start by offering a treat off your hand. Gradually move on to touching and stroking the breast or front of the neck. When you offer treats, make her come closer each time. Soon you can train her to come to you if you use an audible cue each time. Chickens learn quickly to come when they associate a particular sound with a treat. Once she is coming to you, pick her up and hold her often. Some chickens learn to crave this closeness with a human, and they rival dogs and cats in liking affection.
Wow you’re amazing! This is so helpful. I’m making arrangements now to get new bedding for her, she’s running low on feed too so it works out. I’ll also grab the Calcium Citrate you recommended at Walmart, is this short use or continue to feed as supplement? A whole tablet or how much? I’m thinking since this is urgent and she’s not used to me touching her yet, I’ll move the “run” backwards away from the “coop” and place a temporary door (big piece of wood with bungee) on the side that connects to her coop to prevent her from running in while I clean it and just remove the block when done. I like the sound training, I use that for my dogs and it works so well. The friend a chicken tips are super helpful, I’d like to eventually be able to pick her up every once in awhile to check on her for her health so I think that’s worth starting and will be handy with cleaning her cage out going forward. Thank you so much, I feel much better now that I know how to properly help her.

The calcium citrate is for short term treatment only. For a regular every day calcium supplement, we buy oyster shell and make it available in a container so the hen can help herself when she feels her body craving calcium. For this crisis, she will need one tablet daily until she is out of danger. We'll know that when she stops dribbling the smelly discharge and starts acting normal.

The best way to give the calcium tablet is to pick her up and hold her firmly while prying open her beak and shoving the tablet in whole. This way we know she got the whole dose.

How did you give her the Tums? How much did she manage to consume?

The best way to pick up a chicken that is afraid of you is to coax her into a small area and close off escape. Then get down on her level and talk to her softly, slowly moving toward her. You can make a quick grab for her legs, then quickly pull her into your body. If you have a towel to wrap her in to confine her wings and feet, it will make her feel more secure and easier for you to hold her to give the pill.

Chickens are birds, and all birds bond to sound. Talk softly and calmly to her all the time. Give her a name and use it. Many chickens learn to respond to their name, and the sound of the name will signal the bond you have, much like a dog or cat responds to their name with trust.

The calcium citrate is for short term treatment only. For a regular every day calcium supplement, we buy oyster shell and make it available in a container so the hen can help herself when she feels her body craving calcium. For this crisis, she will need one tablet daily until she is out of danger. We'll know that when she stops dribbling the smelly discharge and starts acting normal.

The best way to give the calcium tablet is to pick her up and hold her firmly while prying open her beak and shoving the tablet in whole. This way we know she got the whole dose.

How did you give her the Tums? How much did she manage to consume?

The best way to pick up a chicken that is afraid of you is to coax her into a small area and close off escape. Then get down on her level and talk to her softly, slowly moving toward her. You can make a quick grab for her legs, then quickly pull her into your body. If you have a towel to wrap her in to confine her wings and feet, it will make her feel more secure and easier for you to hold her to give the pill.

Chickens are birds, and all birds bond to sound. Talk softly and calmly to her all the time. Give her a name and use it. Many chickens learn to respond to their name, and the sound of the name will signal the bond you have, much like a dog or cat responds to their name with trust.
Okay perfect, thank you! I will follow this going forward for her and I’ll see if the feed store has oyster shells too. I’ve got a list going now new bedding, shells, more feed, scratch, shells, calcium tablet and a scoop.

As an update, her cage smells so much better today, I don’t smell anything really so I think it might’ve been the fluid you were talking about previously that smelled from the bacteria. Still cleaning her area out asap though just to be safe but visibly its very clean, I do pick up any poop in the run if she makes accidents but typically she likes to go outside.

For the tums, I just hit with a tenderizer to make it into small pieces and put it in her bowl. I gave her 1/2 a tablet (1000mg so 500mg) and each time she ate pretty much all of it, I think she either likes the taste or knows its medicine. She ate all the garlic up too. I might try hand feeding her the tablet while she’s in the coop. I had previously fed her with tongs on days when she wouldn’t come out being broody.

I did try hand feeding her today. I tried mealworm first but she didn’t care. Then I saw a live worm and tried that too but she wasn’t able to eat him for some reason but I’ll keep trying! Working on coming up with a sound too, thinking I’ll do something different than my dogs so they won’t get confused. She does have a name but she doesn’t come to it yet, I think I might try saying that as I’m feeding her to reinforce it. I did try touching her with her bowl as I was putting it up to her to eat (like just lightly pressing on her chest like a soft rub) and she screamed again but we’ll keep working on it. With the towel, I’m wrapping that over her once grabbed or like grabbing her with it in my arms like getting a kid out of a bath? I’m assuming its not a toss situation.

Overall I think you’ve given me a good idea of how to move forward. Get the new supplies, clean out her bedding, Calcium until smell and eggs return to normal then supplement with oyster shells. Work on connection, touching and name training with treats. I don’t know how to thank you enough seriously I was very confused & concerned for her and you have been so helpful. I’m very grateful.

The towel is not to be thrown over the hen like a net. Too scary. It's to be used after you have her in hand to wrap around her wings and feet to subdue her. A towel is invaluable when having to deal with a flighty chicken.

Back
Top Bottom