Is she sick ?

tri-5-ron

Songster
11 Years
Feb 6, 2010
Orange County
My daughter was cleaning the coop and came in to tell me our 3yo RR (Ruby) seemed to have lost some weight.
she also told me that last week she saw Ruby throwing up / spitting up some water.

I picked the bird up, and yes she does seem to be a little lighter than normal, but to be honest, I've never actually weighed her to know for sure.
she does seem to be lathargic, and is not her normal self.
all the other 10 birds are doing their normal chicken stuff, running around, eating, and generally being happy chickens.

Ruby is just laying in the coop with her head propped up on a ledge, eyes staying closed mostly,... but will open them if you pet her.
She normally doesn't mind being handled, but she will do the normal chicken thing and try to run away if you try to catch her.
Once caught, she calms right down.
Today,... she is just laying there, and not too interested in anything,... and she does not try to get away.
She is calm, not excited, and sitting in a normal "egg laying' position.
It just seems a bit strange.

any suggestions ?
Thanks,
Ron

after checking her some more, she is deffinately much lighter than the other birds of same age and size.
breast bone isright at the surface, with very little meat there.
very sleepy/droopy, and did she her squirt a very runny poop.
and was not her normal happy self when I let the bids out of the coop to run in the backyard.
no scratching the ground, no eating the grass, no dirt bath.
she just wants to lay there doing nothing. I'm thinking she may not last much longer.
wish I knew what to do for her.

Last edited:
I tried some meds from the feed store, vitamins, electrolytes. did the crop massage, she seemed a bit better yesterday.
she was standing a little more, but still very drowsy looking.

Sad to say that she did not make it through the night.
we had her separated from the flock in a large pet crate, and had put her in the garage for the night.
This morning before school, my daughter went to check on her and found that she was dead.
Very upset little girl. probably going to be a rough afternoon for her when she gets home today.

Back
Top Bottom