Is size everything?

nippynoodles1985

Hatching
8 Years
May 24, 2011
I have a spare bit of ground on my back garden and wondered if it is big enough to keep ckickens on I am after having Favourelles, Norfolk Greys, Orpingtons or Black Rocks (so large chickens)! The space is 14 foot by 10 foot and I was planning on putting a two story coop in that would be 6 foot by 2 1/2 foot by 5 foot tall! What does everyone think?
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Ahhh brill so my lack of room isnt a problem then! Oh forgot to mention when I am in they will be able to roam the whole garden as it is secure so it means they will have about 7 times the room all afternoon and evening (till they decide to go to bed!)
big_smile.png

Anything less than 3 sq ft per bird (and that's standard sized birds) can induce overcrowding behaviors and if you have to close them up for any length of time (like in winter weather) you wouldn't want any less than 5 sq ft per bird inside the coop. Chooks get cabin fever and the more room, the better.

Now I am a tad confused! Do you think I have enough room for three happy birds or is it to small? I work from home most days so they will be able to roam the garden till their hearts content but will the coop be to small?

If I am understand your post correctly you are going to have a 2 story coop that is 6'x2.5' on each story. That is a total of 30 square feet of floor space so with three birds you will have ten sq.ft. per chook. That is totally fine. Personally, I would not exceed more than probably four, just because more room = happier chickens. If they are going to free range a lot then I would be even more fine with those dimensions. It is not like they will be living in the coop full time.

yippiechickie.gif
:cd

Last edited:
Do you get snow in the winter?

Arianna is correct about needing coop space to avoid overcrowding, IMO.

4 square feet per chicken inside the coop PLUS 10 square feet per chicken in the run is good.

With a 2.5 x 6 foot coop, you will have 15 square feet. That is good for 3 chickens, IMO.
cool.png

Now, she mentioned winter weather. If they are going to basically live in the coop all winter (they DO if it is covered with snow unless you cover the run and the sides of the run so the snow doesn't blow in), then you need much more space than that.

In other words, it sounds perfect for 3 hens if you don't get a lot of snow, IMO.

And your run is plenty big. They will appreciate places to get out of the rain, wind, and sun (you can accomplish this with shelters or covering some of the run).

thumbsup.gif

Last year was the worst snow we have had in 20 years it was 2 foot deep and lasted a month! I do have an 8 foot by 6 foot shed that I can empty out and sort for the winter! So winter they would have somewhere to go if it gets bad again (just have to convince other half to tip all his junk!)

Back
Top Bottom