Is Slipped Tendon/Perosis Painful?

I have a two day old peachick that had both tendons slipped. I noticed it the first day since I had two eggs hatch of four and I could see one was walking and he other was not. By looking at the back of the leg it was obvious that I was looking at the bone instead of a knee. After reading some posts I tried to slip the tendon into place. It was very easy to do. I wrapped it with medical tape to keep the knee from bending and the tedon slipping right off again. Within half a day the chick's tendon stays in place. She is not eating or drinking. I have her in a swing most of the time except to stretch. The knees are swollen and bruised but look normal. I hope in another day can walk, but she may go the other way since she mostly sleeps. She did have her first BM today by gently massaging her belly and gave her some feed mush. She is just 36 hours old.

mtoepfer--
What ended up happening with your peachick? Did her tendons eventually stay where they belong?
I hope she was able to recover with the assistance you were giving her.
fl.gif

I've had success with repairing slipped tendon on guinea fowl and silkies. If it is a genetic defect, there's really nothing you can do, but if it is an injury and is caught pretty quickly, it is repairable. One of the difficulties is determining whether or not it is actually a slipped tendon or some other condition. A slipped tendon is painful, and the babe will hold the leg up because pressure on it hurts and causes the joint to swell. If left very long, the joint will "freeze" permanently in that position. If both tendons have slipped, it will "walk on it's elbows." Untreated slipped Achilles tendon is virtually a death sentence because it can't keep up to get food and water, can't fly, and can't avoid predators. The first symptom I've noticed is almost constant crying with nothing visibly wrong. After awhile the joint will swell, which makes a cure more difficult. To test for a slipped tendon, gently, but firmly hold the joint beween your thumb and forefinger and roll it back and forth. If it is a slipped tendon, you can feel it pop into place and back out. A rotated femur is often mistaken for a slipped tendon, and there is no cure for that condition, except possibly surgery.

After working with only partial success with the first one using a process developed by a peafowl fancier; in frustration, I slipped the tendon in place and wrapped a very narrow strip of DUCT TAPE around and around the middle of the joint, on top of itself, making sure the initial wrap was firm enough to hold it in place. If done properly, the joint will still move normally, and the babe doesn't need to be isolated from the flock, which is stressful for it. If it was caused by an injury, it only takes a few days for it to heal. The first time I did this, I worried that the duct tape would harm the skin and was prepared to use mineral oil to release it. However, the natural oils in the skin made it slip right off with no damage. Since that first one, any time I know it is a slipped tendon, I immediately wrap the joint in duct tape. After several days, the tape will loosen and fall off, generally with a successfully repaired leg. I've had several permanent cures and have several friends who've also used this method successfully.

I think the most common cause of slipped Achilles tendon injury is insecure footing caused by too slick bedding material; often newspaper.
Do you happen to have pics of this procedure?

I was able to fix slipped tendon in a two day old peachick by hobbling it and putting it in a sling. It had other health issues and died, but I did get the tendons to stay in place.

-Kathy

I'm sorry, I don't. If the chick has a slipped Achilles Tendon, you can feel the tendon click into and out of place as you gently roll the joint between your thumb and forefinger. The duct tape on the tendon would only show a very narrow band of tape around the middle of the joint. The "chick chair", which is the method I started with that was only partially successful, can be found on a peafowl forum or by googling for "Chick Chair". It would still be useful if the joint has become swollen, because it suspends the chick to keep it from using the leg so the swelling can go down.

We have a 10-12 week old chicken that is 1 of the 2 that we rescued. These people decided they didn't want them anymore, so they were going to throw them out into the woods for the wolves to eat. So we saved them. We did notice an odd leg on one, but we just thought it was deformed because of the VERY rough handling he had endured.

Now I find out my poor chicken has a slipped tendon. He doesn't seem to be in any pain. The vet says it's too late for any real treatment, but applied a splint in hopes the extra support would help with walking (which didn't help - he can't stand or walk AT ALL with the splint on, so we're going to take it off).

The chicken is alert, eats well, and doesn't seem to be in pain. He has some trouble walking, but he can still get to the food and water, so I have hope that with our help, he can have a little more life. I've somehow become very attached to him. I know I'll have to put him down, but I want to delay it and give him as many days of life as possible, as long as he isn't suffering.
Hi I have a Lf Orpington 4 months old just like ur cockerel how long before u had to put him down Or how long did he live

Back
Top Bottom