is sneezing normal?

I know there's mixed feelings on this forum about the effectiveness of safeguard in water, but at the moment it's the only option. The feed store only had giant syringes unsuitable for birds, and since they might be under the weather already I was worried about chasing and catching them in case it stressed them out further.
I wish I knew how old they are. The owner, my landlord, picked them up on a whim one day and their care has just fallen under my umbrella of responsibility. He never told me how old or what kind of peas they are. They do have color on their necks,except for one that is much younger than the rest.Maybe that can give a clue to age.

I know there's mixed feelings on this forum about the effectiveness of safeguard in water, but at the moment it's the only option. The feed store only had giant syringes unsuitable for birds, and since they might be under the weather already I was worried about chasing and catching them in case it stressed them out further.
I wish I knew how old they are. The owner, my landlord, picked them up on a whim one day and their care has just fallen under my umbrella of responsibility. He never told me how old or what kind of peas they are. They do have color on their necks,except for one that is much younger than the rest.Maybe that can give a clue to age.
It boils down to math and science, not mixed feelings... How much of this one gallon do you think each bird will drink per day. Now think about the worms you want to treat for, what worms are they? Roundworms? Capillary worms? Cecal worms? Gapeworms? Each worm needs a different amount of of wormer, and something like the capillary worm needs a lot of it for *5* consecutive days!

FYI, Safeguard paste is suitable for birds, even small birds, just give 0.23ml per pound, which is the same as the liquid. You should also know that the dose for goats is 1/10th of what it is for birds. Not sure why, but it is. Would be best to catch each one, weigh it and give the Safeguard liquid or paste orally at 0.23ml per pound.

-Kathy

This is what can happen when one worms with Safeguard in the water:

That picture is of a peachick the around the age of your chicks and it was wormed with 3cc's Safeguard per gallon. Don't kid yourself, 3cc or 5cc, it's not gonna matter.

This is the post that the above picture came from:
Quote: And this is the thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/926738/safeguard-and-feather-damage-while-molting

Many thanks to @KsKingBee for sharing his experiences like this.

-Kathy

Sorry, I miss read your post. Feed store had syringes not suitable... that's okay, just go to a pharmacy and but a 1ml eye dropper or ask a pharmacist for a 1ml oral syringe.

-Kathy

I respect your well educated opinion. You obviously know what you're talking about. I would like to do exactly what you recommend but at the moment I cannot. I might be mistaken in thinking it's better to give them any safeguard at all as soon as possible. Should I stop dosing their food and water and wait until I get the proper supplies? I really do appreciate your answers!
1f604.png

Also, I'm not sure if they have any worms at all (you asked which I'm treating for), but they've never been wormed before so I was doing it as a preventative measure. Should I use something different?

Last edited:
I respect your well educated opinion. You obviously know what you're talking about. I would like to do exactly what you recommend but at the moment I cannot. I might be mistaken in thinking it's better to give them any safeguard at all as soon as possible. Should I stop dosing their food and water and wait until I get the proper supplies? I really do appreciate your answers!
1f604.png
Can you catch them?

-Kathy

1f604.png

Also, I'm not sure if they have any worms at all (you asked which I'm treating for), but they've never been wormed before so I was doing it as a preventative measure. Should I use something different?
If you can't catch them I think maybe we can come up with a way to get them wormed. Can you post some pictures so I can get an idea of how old they are and how much they weigh?

-Kathy

The first is all together, the second image is the youngest which seems to be the only one of a different age group.

Back
Top Bottom