Is sneezing normal?

TheDoyles

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 27, 2014
Today I noticed that my chickens' food was empty so I I fed them (7 of them) and as they were eating (fast I might add, because they were so hungry) they all started sneezing/coughing! I got so concerned I picked each and every one of them and gave them each a full look over and none of them have runny noses or crackled breathing, no discharge in the eyes or anything. I did notice a little frostbite on some of the combs so we put some vaseline on them. Is this normal coughing/sneezing when eating so fast?! It is winter here in MI and the temps are in the low 20's to 0. We do not have a heat lamp in their coop but so have an area in the run with a heat lamp so they have a place to go to get warm if they need to.

Don't know for sure, but I can say that one of my girls will sneeze if I have just poured feed into the container and a little bit of "dust" (from the feed) gets in her "nose"

I'd be very careful with the heat lamp, just read an article today about a coop/run fire in Duluth, MN that did $500,000 worth of damage to the family's house...of course killed the chickens and 2 pet cats as well. Of course, one end of the coop sat under the house eaves.

No, it's not normal -- but it's not necessarily anything serious, either. From the circumstances, I suspect they all inhaled something dusty, perhaps the feed? Or perhaps new bedding that was dusty?

My girl has always sneezed frequently off and on, but it has never been anything more. We have a lot of dust/dirt so thinking that's it. Also notice after she has dusted a lot or spent time in powdery dirt areas of the yard. I would just monitor for additional symptoms( not eating/drinking normally, abnormal poop, discharge or smell). Hopefully someone with more experience will comment as well...good luck!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom