Is something wrong or do I have a rooster?

You did notice that they have 2 different size combs and wattles right? Supposedly from same hatch. Why do they look so different? One with large comb and wattles and the other with small.
I did notice.
One is just faster maturing. She will lay sooner.

At 5 months a cockerel has saddle feathers, sickle feathers, pointy hackles, a rooster posture and they’ll most likely be crowing. At that age, comb size doesn’t matter. They are just going to lay soon.

They are Red Forman top....and Han Solo below. Seem to be getting more and more aggresive / competitive with each other too. They even challenge the bigger brahmas who are not as aggressive and I am not sure of their genders yet.

I'm hoping one or two or more of my 9 week old light Sussex supposed cockerels are like yours vis-a-vis the combs and waddles. Two have small combs/waddles and five have combs/waddles like your other one. I'll know for sure in 3 more weeks. Hoping saddle feathers stay away!

I supposedly bought 10 hens each from Hoover, but I now have at least 2 roosters (Australorps) and I think I have 2 Brahmas...possibly 4 who are male for a total of 6 out of 20 birds improperly sexed! Nearly 33% not good.

Back
Top Bottom