Is Something Wrong With My Serama Eggs?

I took the brood thermometer and stuck it in ice water and it got down to 33 before I stopped stirring it around in there.
So that one is probably pretty close, but remember it may be a degree high.
So it seems to me that something is definitely wrong with the readings on the incubator. And it is almost the end of day 20 and still no movement or external pips.
Yep! My incubator's read-out is 4 degrees higher than what the temp actually is. And that's very common. Not many incubators are spot on right out of the factory. That's why at least one additional thermometer is always a necessity.
And if the temperature read-out is wrong, the humidity read-out usually is too. So at least one additional hydrometer should be salt tested and kept inside as well.
What is your brooder thermometer reading in there right now?
Have you candled the eggs recently? Go ahead and candle them again. Mark eggs that are definitely alive with a check mark or something, and eggs that are not definitely alive with a question mark. They're most likely not going to hatch on time since your temperature has been so off. They could be several days late. So don't stress about what day it is, and just focus on whether they're still alive or not. How full are the eggs?
Also, were the eggs shipped?

So that one is probably pretty close, but remember it may be a degree high.

Yep! My incubator's read-out is 4 degrees higher than what the temp actually is. And that's very common. Not many incubators are spot on right out of the factory. That's why at least one additional thermometer is always a necessity.
And if the temperature read-out is wrong, the humidity read-out usually is too. So at least one additional hydrometer should be salt tested and kept inside as well.
What is your brooder thermometer reading in there right now?
Have you candled the eggs recently? Go ahead and candle them again. Mark eggs that are definitely alive with a check mark or something, and eggs that are not definitely alive with a question mark. They're most likely not going to hatch on time since your temperature has been so off. They could be several days late. So don't stress about what day it is, and just focus on whether they're still alive or not. How full are the eggs?
Also, were the eggs shipped?
The broader thermometer right now says 94 because I had just put it back a little bit ago. I have not candled them since last night when I checked a couple of them. Should I check them now?

The broader thermometer right now says 94 because I had just put it back a little bit ago. I have not candled them since last night when I checked a couple of them. Should I check them now?
Yes, go ahead and check them, and do what I said in the last post too.
If it doesn't get up to 100 soon you'll have to up the incubator temp.

Back
Top Bottom