Is something wrong with this roosters feet?

Hheysunshine

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2018
Pittsburgh
so recently I decided to try adding a rooster to my flock. I wanted an adult due to my hens being 2 years old and some younger 8 month old girls. I found someone rehoming a buff Brahma,which I read up on having a calm personality. I have pets and children, I did not want an extremely bad experience. But anyway that being said. Is there something seriously wrong with this roosters feet??? Is it mites, fungus? Or he maybe had frost bite. The individual didn’t mention anything when I commented on his big feet. I do have the rooster in a coop across the yard from my big setup with my hens. But I do free range when it’s nice.

Attachments

• 0F452F66-36E8-46DD-A4F3-C07FB933C3E7.jpeg
    0F452F66-36E8-46DD-A4F3-C07FB933C3E7.jpeg
    593.7 KB · Views: 31
  • FBDD7299-0964-4ADE-9B8E-21F6C228F018.jpeg
    FBDD7299-0964-4ADE-9B8E-21F6C228F018.jpeg
    553.9 KB · Views: 24
Thank you I really appreciate the feedback! I was worried it was mites after some google searching. Frost bite makes sense with the one toe looking blackish and dead at the tip.
That toe will eventually fall off. He may have troubles roosting and he may not, same with breeding. A few of my birds are missing toes, it happens.

That toe will eventually fall off. He may have troubles roosting and he may not, same with breeding. A few of my birds are missing toes, it happens.
Oh wow, I only thought they got frost bite on there combs. I am a first time chicken owner so I’m learning a lot. I really appreciate the feedback. I really enjoyed watching him forage around my yard today. I’m very excited to see how he fits in.

Frostbite on toe tips will result in the tips and toenails falling off eventually. I like to use 2-4 inch roosts with the wide side up, so that they can sit on their feet when roosting in cold weather. It helps also to prevent wet spots during freezing weather. Even at that, I have seen a few toe tips missing after a hard winter.

Can you get a clear, close up of his feet? Do they look a little swollen to anyone else? Just want to make sure he doesn’t have fluid build up in his feet. Can we get a full shot of him, too? Looks like he might be a beautiful boy!

I am unable to get close enough to him for a better photopnce he is out. I will try tomorrow, but I will post on an edited zoomed in photo.
A2D9F210-3599-4605-9F6C-7B89B8C78236.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom