Is something wrong?

elphabafalls

Songster
Jul 27, 2020
I'm not sure if something is wrong or not, but Maggie Mae has had issues in the past so I'm hoping for some guidance. Maggie went egg bound 2x during the cold snap we had in Oklahoma a few months ago. The temps were hitting recods lows, and we had lots of snow and ice. Her but was suddenly filthy and she was waddling and squatting all the time. We got her through that, than God. Lately, however, her butt is filthy again all the time. She lays very distinctive eggs, so I know she's laying. Plus, we have 10 hens and we're getting 10 eggs just about every day. None of the other hens are having any trouble. When Maggie was egg bound, she would follow me around and talk to me in a way she'd never done before. I just knew she was asking for help. Sure enough, she needed it badly. She started doing that again about a day and half ago, so I've been watching her closely. She's laying fine. She's eating ok. She looks ok, and she's acting ok as far as chicken behaviors go. I only ask because she's doing the same talking to me thing and her butt is absolutely filthy. These are my first chicken children, so I'm new at this.

Can you post a picture of her vent and her poop? And then after that make sure to clean her vent off, because if it stays caked like you say, that could lead to even more issues. Just keep cleaning it off until you figure out what's wrong with her. You said she had no other symptoms besides the pasty butt right? How old is she? What temperature is it where you live? Is her comb pale?

Can you post a picture of her vent and her poop? And then after that make sure to clean her vent off, because if it stays caked like you say, that could lead to even more issues. Just keep cleaning it off until you figure out what's wrong with her. You said she had no other symptoms besides the pasty butt right? How old is she? What temperature is it where you live? Is her comb pale?
I will. It's about dark here now so they're about to go to bed. I was planning on soaking her again tomorrow to get her clean. I'll take the pics and post them. Her comb appears to be normal, but I'll post pics of that too. Yeah, I didn't want to leave her filthy. I was afraid it may lead to issues. Thank you for your answer.

I went to take a pic of her butt, but when I did my phone started updating. I found a pic on the internet that's very close to what she looked like. Her poop was dried, though, and she isn't walking funny or squatting like when she was eggbound. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...opy-butt-and-walking-weirdly-pictures.865647/
Her comb is red and plump like normal. She's eating, but I found one of those soft shelled eggs in the hay in the coop this morning under where they roost. Not sure if it was hers, but she was in that area when I put them to bed last night. She definitely laid yesterday, though. We bathed her, and her skin was clear and healthy. The only other thing that was odd today was that she freaked the hell out when I went to pick her up. She's the biggest people chicken I have. She hangs with me every minute I'm out with them. I've picked her up dozens of times, and she never cares. As soon as I had her in my arms, she calmed right down, but she's never done that before. The only reason I'm worried is that she's gone egg bound 2x in her life and she's only about a year old or so. She never had a dirty butt until after the eggbound incidents, and she's been working hard to get my attention just like she did when she was eggbound. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom