Is something wrong?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mossy_oak23, Nov 3, 2009.

1. mossy_oak23

mossy_oak23 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    I bought 6 week old chicks back in August of this year and they still have yet to lay an egg. They are a cross between cornish and araucana. I THINK i have 2 roosters and 4 hens but I will be posting pics in the "what gender is this" area in the near future. I understand that they will hold off laying as the days get shorter correct? So does this mean unless I have articial lighting in my coop i shouldn't expect eggs until the spring?

2. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    I have 9 hens that were hatched the first week of MAY and still no eggs..... I am releasing them from their commitment and looking for eggs after February... I let them off the hook, so now I will be pleasantly surprised if I get them sooner..... what other choice is there...

I have heard that they need 14-16 hours of light each day... but I am letting my girls go through this naturally.... if they need to wait till spring so be it.

3. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    You really shouldn't be expecting eggs until 20 - 24 weeks of age. Maybe more depending on breed.

4. mossy_oak23

Oct 28, 2009
    the sun is up at 7:30 here and down around 6pm so thats only 10 and half hours of light. That may be my problem.

5. mossy_oak23

Oct 28, 2009
    Quote:Really? TSC stores has seriously mislead me then [​IMG]

6. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I got some back in Feb. Still no eggs.

7. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Nothing is wrong with your chickens, they are perfectly fine. I got mine in June and still no eggs. [​IMG] Only thing we can do it wait! I dont know whether or not you will have to wait until next spring for the eggs, since i have heard of chickens laying their first eggs in the winter months... but that might not happen all the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by