Is something wrong?

mossy_oak23

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
I bought 6 week old chicks back in August of this year and they still have yet to lay an egg. They are a cross between cornish and araucana. I THINK i have 2 roosters and 4 hens but I will be posting pics in the "what gender is this" area in the near future. I understand that they will hold off laying as the days get shorter correct? So does this mean unless I have articial lighting in my coop i shouldn't expect eggs until the spring?

I have 9 hens that were hatched the first week of MAY and still no eggs..... I am releasing them from their commitment and looking for eggs after February... I let them off the hook, so now I will be pleasantly surprised if I get them sooner..... what other choice is there...

I have heard that they need 14-16 hours of light each day... but I am letting my girls go through this naturally.... if they need to wait till spring so be it.

the sun is up at 7:30 here and down around 6pm so thats only 10 and half hours of light. That may be my problem.

Quote:
Really? TSC stores has seriously mislead me then
smile.png

Nothing is wrong with your chickens, they are perfectly fine. I got mine in June and still no eggs.
sad.png
Only thing we can do it wait! I dont know whether or not you will have to wait until next spring for the eggs, since i have heard of chickens laying their first eggs in the winter months... but that might not happen all the time.

Back
Top Bottom