Kaycie Jones

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2017
Hi everyone!
I've been using straw for litter with my chicks. I got them a week ago, and I've changed out the straw once so far. Is this proper litter? Their stomachs look all crusty but not red or irritated. Is this okay? Or is it because the straw is getting wet from the water feeder? Not sure if I should be concerned, or just try to keep them from making a mess with their water. Around the water feeder is damp, but everywhere else stays nice and dry. Help?

from what I've learned and read, straw and hay promote mold and bacteria growth and they can choke on the pieces - use the wood shavings, not cedar shavings. we used the flake because the fine was so dusty, but they work great

from what I've learned and read, straw and hay promote mold and bacteria growth and they can choke on the pieces - use the wood shavings, not cedar shavings. we used the flake because the fine was so dusty, but they work great
Is that for the inside of the coop? I would like to place something in my chicken run that would help keep it clean. My run is uncovered.

Straw is not the best choice for litter. The reason for this is that it absorbs water, and is a perfect place for harmful bacteria to build. Also, it's quite slippery, and can lead to splayed leg in chicks. I would suggest wood shavings or river sand. I use river sand in my run and coop, and although it's heavy, it stays very clean, keeps the chickens feet clean, and is easy to scoop out poop with a kitty litter scooper! It's the best! Good luck!

I used straw for my brooder chicks for the first time this year. They aren't trying to eat it and it's not slowing them down. You should be changing the bedding every couple of days. This will keep the poop from building up and getting all over them, it also won't have time to get wet and moldy. Most people prefer wood shavings and I have used them with no problems as well. Once they get to the coop, they will be in sand. As previously stated, it's easy to maintain and you don't have to take it out and replace it constantly like you would straw. It will last a couple of years if well maintained.

Whatever you use someone will tell you something else that's better. Different people quite successfully use wood shavings, wood chips, straw, hay, dry leaves, sand, and all kinds of other things. That can be in the nest, in the brooder, in the coop, or in the run. In the brooder I use hardware cloth as a floor with bins underneath to catch the poop. I put a piece of plywood in there for a solid place for them to go if they want it and to retain heat if I'm brooding in the cold as my brooder is in the coop.

The idea inside the brooder is to keep the brooder dry. The bedding should absorb the moisture from the poop but not get wet and stay wet. If the poop gets too thick it can retain moisture. A wet brooder is a dangerous brooder for various reasons. No matter what bedding you use if it gets wet it can be dangerous and unhealthy. Your issue is not what bedding you are using, it's that the waterer is getting the bedding wet. That's the problem you need to solve.

What kind of waterer are you using and how is it set up? Why is it getting wet? A photo of the waterer can really help us come up with possible solutions. Again this is something that whatever certain people are using is the best for them, but many of us use all kinds of different methods successfully. Nipples can leak, vacuum waterers may not be level, the chicks may be playing in the waterer and splashing it out, the chicks may be knocking the waterer over. That's your issue, why is it getting wet?

Welcome! RR has good advice! I use baled shavings in my brooder, and keep things dry. Rather than emptying it out, I add more shavings to make the bedding deeper, and the chicks move out to the coop (in a separate area) by three weeks of age, with their heat source. Check your waterer, and fix the problem you're having with leaking, or whatever. Mary

Thanks for all the help everyone!
It is a vacuum waterer that I use, and my husband figured out tonight that it wasn't level. I thought I was crazy, because I was having to refill it four or five times a day, and I couldn't imagine 12 chicks drinking that much! We made some adjustments for now, and in the morning I'll get to work on building a level platform for it to sit on.
So far they seem fine and are eating like crazy, so I think it will be okay for tonight.
Any tips on getting the thing level? I doubt the shed they're in has a level floor, so I'm worried my platform idea might not work. Thanks again!

I have used straw, pine pellets and shavings, crushed corn cobs, etc. In brooder and it's really more of a preference issue. If you're having trouble with waterer try putting puppy pads or paper towels under to keep litter a bit drier til you find a solution. I do find that for chickens I like the pelleted pine or mix of them with shavings best...pellets stay much drier and expand with moisture and breakdown into finer softer pieces. I always use straw for ducks or pine pellets straw mix. I would never use hay for litter way to prone to mold.

Back
Top Bottom