Is the Coop Big Enough??

I am on the fence with chicken numbers in coops. If they have access to a large run or they free range, I see no issues with them packing in there. Mine have a large coop but when they are in it, they smash themselves into the tiniest imaginable ball. They prefer to sit on each other and get tucked in really tightly. Of course, mine get to free range all day.

I haven't had feather plucking or parasite/disease issues.

Mine usually only go in the coop to sleep/drink/lay.

So we had 17 in there. But we got rid of like 4 hens and all the other roos (they attacked mine) so now I think we have like 8. We're gonna get rid of 2 more for sure though. Its gonna get to 20 above so we're gonna let them run through the snow if they wanna. Thanks for the help!

my 5x6 has five birds and I think its way to small still. unless there out side and only sleep in it I think its fine, but round here its to cold so we keep them in when it hits below 10 degree's. we are havign a new coop built for 3 or 4 more birds we are getting. it will be I hope 5x6 or bigger.

I have a small coop with a couple too many ladies, but luckily they are all quite friendly to each other. I think it sometimes depends on what size run they have. If they only have that 4x6' structure and that's it, it's WAY too small, but if there is a nice sized attached run and they only sleep and lay eggs in the coop, it could work. I made my run invincible to predators with top to bottom hardware cloth and multiple locks so I can leave their little floor hatch open at night and they can let themselves out in the morning. Sometimes it depends on the climate you live in and set up. We're a mild climate, so leaving the chicken door open is extra ventilation, which my coop need anyway.

Last edited:
13-14 is waaaay too many chickens for that coop. With 24 sq feet total, 6 standard sized birds is the max recommended. When chickens are over crowded, you will see a rise in feather picking, bullying and disease/parasites. if you put 14 chickens in that coop, you're gonna have problems.

x2

Also your climate plays a part. If you live where snow falls, you'll most certainly need more coop space than those of us whose chickens basically only sleep in the coop. The more they have to stay in there, the bigger it needs to be. Also keep roost space in mind. They need at least 12 inches of roost space each and prefer much more. So if it has one roost going the long way, that's again 6 birds.

My coop is 9x11 and it looks crowded to me with 8 in it when they're all on the floor.

I am thinking the builder of that coop was thinking the chickens would spend their days free-ranging, and only go into the coop at night, and to lay eggs. This would explain why they said you could have such a large number of birds inside of it. However, if you are keeping them in this coop then I agree with the others eight at the max. Personally, I would stop at a trio.

So we're selling some until we have 5 hens and 1 roo. We're gonna let them free range today since its like 6 above (
ya.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
)

Back
Top Bottom