Is the eye lost? (Graphic images)

Chickenheadmate

Songster
6 Years
Mar 4, 2018
Mansfield, TX
I was out of town and my rooster got aggressive with her. She can’t see out of the eye and has a cloudy layer over the eye ball. Couldn’t get good pictures. Will it ever go back to normal? Her comb is 1/3 white-ish on the other side? What could that be from? He’s eating and drinking just fine.
E448302D-2B28-4BEB-865B-EDF27A9F63DF.jpeg

Unfortunately, it looks like the eye is blind. You can flush the eye with Bausch and Lomb eye wash and apply a dab of Terramycin eye ointment available at some feed stores, twice a day. I would clean any skin wounds with chlorhexidene or Vetericyn. Plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment is also good. I would separate the rooster, since he may hurt others.

I was out of town and my rooster got aggressive with her. She can’t see out of the eye and has a cloudy layer over the eye ball. Couldn’t get good pictures. Will it ever go back to normal? Her comb is 1/3 white-ish on the other side? What could that be from? He’s eating and drinking just fine. View attachment 2786181

It is good that she is eating and drinking normally. It probably will not return to normal. Call it a cataract or injury or whatever but to reverse blindness in chickens I have not found any research.

My blind rooster is 9 months old, both his eyes are fully blind for 8 months. It takes special care to keep him alive, but he is cared for.

I also have a 5 month old hen that has a white cloud over one eye. She is similar to yours in that she eats and drinks normally but has been with only one eye for about 4 months. She can not see 100% out of the eye, but may have some limited vision, but she acts like she is blind in that eye. I think it's from UV damage from the sun.

I hope your hen recovers her life back but the eye may not return.

The blind roosters crop changes color throughout the day. When it's cold or he is stressed from hunger or other reason, it turns blacker on the fringes. Sometimes when he is stressed it turns white, but that is more rare and only when it's excessively hot or something outside his routine do I see white, like if he is very hungry or frustrated with me for not feeding him in time. The white crop could indicate she is stressed dealing with her adjustments in vision and hopefully she returns to normal. It also may be another cause, but my blind roosters crop changes color various times throughout the day from morning to night. When he is not getting the food he wants it really upsets him and the color turns black and white is very rare but I have seen it.

My oldest rooster is 2 years and he has a 1/3 white comb sometimes too, so it could be related to being older aged and degrading health from natural causes. My chickens all have the same feed and nutrition and only my oldest rooster has a white crop.

Edit: i just noticed the scabbing and after that heals the white comb may return to normal. It could be related to the scab injury.

IMG_20210804_212109.jpg

IMG_20210804_211653.jpg

IMG_20210804_211150.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom