is the Golden Speckled Coturnix Quail and the blond the same bird

That depends on what country you are in. The UK and other places outside the US there is a cinnamon looking color mutation I've heard refered to as blond. If you are within the US then blond would most like refer to golden manchurians which have mostly golden feathering throughout the body and except there will be a dark colored cap on the males heads and usually a black half cap on females heads. JamesMarieFarms.com has the quail they sell listed with pictures, viewing those should give you a better idea of what the common color phases are called by. There is no standard or pedigree to breed to so people tend to just call their quail whatever they think sounds appropriate, which can make it hard to know what mutation they are referring to specifically.

thank you that is very helpful. i just order 12 eggs with stromberg hatchery and 12 red tux quail....any one got any helpful info on incubating this will be my first quail eggs . i have hatch chickens for a few years. just getting in to quail. have any of you ever gotten from stromberg befor?

I bought chukar eggs from them a few years ago. Had good luck with them. They have raised their prices quite a bit since then thou.... If you can hatch chickens you'll do fine.... Dry hatches dont work well with game birds in my experience....bump the humidity a bit higher than your normal chicken hatch and shoot for around 60-65% at lock down. Coturnix will almost hatch sit'n in the sun on your counter! Good luck....

Last edited:
That depends on what country you are in. The UK and other places outside the US there is a cinnamon looking color mutation I've heard refered to as blond. If you are within the US then blond would most like refer to golden manchurians which have mostly golden feathering throughout the body and except there will be a dark colored cap on the males heads and usually a black half cap on females heads. JamesMarieFarms.com has the quail they sell listed with pictures, viewing those should give you a better idea of what the common color phases are called by. There is no standard or pedigree to breed to so people tend to just call their quail whatever they think sounds appropriate, which can make it hard to know what mutation they are referring to specifically.
From what I've heard from the owner of JamesMarie Farms is that blond is another name for a french variety call Roux or Roux dilute(hopefully I spelled that right). But maybe it refers to Golden Manchurians as well. Roux are colored like pharaohs but lighter in color and they were selected for tameness.

Stromberg's line of coturnix quail was created using JMF stock, so unless they have found some unique way to ruin them, they should be pretty good quality birds.

What I was trying to point out earlier is that people call different colors whatever they please so you'll have a hard time get info on coturnix from a lot of people. Years ago there was a change in the golden speckled coloring where they were getting a gold bird with most red spots. Those birds are called by many "autumn amber" and they are quite proud of the name. They are still just gold speckled coturnix at the end of the day because we have no organizing body like the AKC with dogs or even like any of many poultry associations that track chicken pedigree.

thanks ..i wish there were standers on the names and colors for quail. im new to quail and find this site very helpful.

Pure Roux birds carry the dilute gene- (requires 2 dilute alleles in males but only one in females to show), and look exactly like brown coturnix but lighter. Some call them roux, dilutes or egyptians.

Pure Golden birds- Italians (carrying one fawn gene) and Manchurians (carrying two fawn genes) have a mutation at a different gene than the Roux birds.

Italians with red (or diluted black) spots will likely carry a Roux (dilute) gene.

Crosses of the 2 colors will often get you the fancy, tertiary, heterozygous colors that won't breed true.

jmho.

Back
Top Bottom