Is the "How to Build a Chicken Coop" e-book worth it?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AckChicks, Sep 21, 2009.

1. AckChicks

AckChicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    Hi, I'm new here. Our babies are almost 3 weeks old and we want to start building a chicken coop but I'm having a hard time finding plans. Every time I search the internet, this e-book comes up. It looks good, is it worth it?

Thanks.

2. BooneHillbilly

BooneHillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    West Virginia
    NO! It is a joke.. I made them give me a refund..

3. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't do it! There are so many plans on here and any problems you have you ask here and 1000's eyes will see it and be able to help you out!

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    A coop is just a shed with a popdoor, roost, and more ventilation than yer typical shed.

There are countless books (GOOD books, some of them with detailed plans and step by step instructions) on how to build a shed.

Your library probably has some, or if not, interlibrary loan is free [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. AckChicks

AckChicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    Thank You!

[​IMG]

6. soldieratheart

soldieratheart Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2009
    Coopertown, TN
    NOOOOOOO!!!!

I got suckered and bought it, actually designed my coop from one of their plans. ALthough my new coop looks nice, I would NOT recommend tha plan - far too small and poorly-thought out. Ventilation, roosting, insulation, or weatherproofing wasn't addressed at all. Had to make major additions and modifications to the plans to get it even workable. An example: I made the A-frame design, which has a hinged roof panel. The plans neglected to address HOW you would keep rain from pouring through the space where the roof panels meet. You can't shingle because it needs to hinge open/closed. I ended up sealing that "seam" with weatherstripping and praying that will work - so far the coop is still in the garage waiting for a test run. And there were TONs of other "minor" details that didn't get addressed in the plans - but if yuo're the kind of person, like me, who needs a plan to follow, you would not figure out the flaws until it's too late.

Stay away!!!

7. SOchick

SOchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Georgia
    Quote:Try nailing a 1x4 or 1x6 to the top, I have an A frame as well and my plans called for a 1x4 at the top to keep out the rain [​IMG] Hope this helps! (my A frame is hinged on the bottom and latches at the top, but you may be able to make this work even if yours hinges at the top)

ackchicks- what type of coop do you want?

8. sandyj

sandyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    St.Paul, Minnesota
    There are a lot of good ideas right here on BYC's. Go to the coop part. There are pics and all sorts of ideas.
    sandyj

9. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    ebook and real book
    elife and real life

you just need to do real research and then adapt to your environment

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by