Is the Omlet Coop Big Enough

I don't know if somebody mentioned this to you before, but 3 of your 5 Orpingtons are cockerels.
So this fact might as well be the reason why the lowest on the pecking order is not allowed in at night.
I thought the same thing. I was surprised it wasn't mentioned earlier.

Dang good point. I just glanced at the photo but didn't look at the feather growth.

Not optimal to get stuck with a bunch of cockerels on the first go, but on the plus side it'll help with the crowding issue in the coop.

I have the Eglu Cube MK2. It has what Eglu calls a 3 meter by 1 meter run(a bit over 12 feet by 3 feet). I also built a portable "A" frame pen 8 feet by 10 feet. The Cube is only used to sleep and lay eggs. I have 2 Red sex links and 4 Azure Blues. The Blues are the size of Leghorns. ONLY WITH the additional space I've created would I entertain putting 6 birds in the Eglu Cube. Both My Eglu run and the 8x10 portable pen are covered in 6 mil poly for the winter. The birds also free ranch most every day. If I was using confining birds to just the Eglu Cube and 3 meter run I would guess 3 birds tops unless free ranging everyday.

I love the cube for cleaning, the birds love the nest box and they all sleep together with no issues. Again if you are just using the Cube and run fewer birds is better, The run IMO will not be large enough for confined birds.

https://www.ukalcanada.com/en/ribbo...2aX6RbamwnhCDXRQ8ZJY11xFnMXWgkgRoCqqMQAvD_BwE

I also use this Electric portable fence (see above link) for free ranging. As I move my portable setup I just move the netting as well. This winter I just snow blow paths in the field for the birds, they hate snow and the snow is just like a fence lol.

Last edited:
Yes, I have. I tried everything. My husband and I decided it would be kinder to process them ourselves.
Bummer! I applaud you for culling them if you can't rehome them. I almost had to do the same thing when I had an unexpected cockerel. I was researching and mentally preparing for it when I lucked out and found him a home at a nearby farm.

Dang good point. I just glanced at the photo but didn't look at the feather growth.

Not optimal to get stuck with a bunch of cockerels on the first go, but on the plus side it'll help with the crowding issue in the coop.
Yeah. Not too thrilled to have so many cockerels my first time with a flock but it is what it is.
And it’s been 4 months since we first hatched the eggs, the experience has been incredible and I don’t ever want to go back.

I have the Eglu Cube MK2. It has what Eglu calls a 3 meter by 1 meter run(a bit over 12 feet by 3 feet). I also built a portable "A" frame pen 8 feet by 10 feet. The Cube is only used to sleep and lay eggs. I have 2 Red sex links and 4 Azure Blues. The Blues are the size of Leghorns. ONLY WITH the additional space I've created would I entertain putting 6 birds in the Eglu Cube. Both My Eglu run and the 8x10 portable pen are covered in 6 mil poly for the winter. The birds also free ranch most every day. If I was using confining birds to just the Eglu Cube and 3 meter run I would guess 3 birds tops unless free ranging everyday.

I love the cube for cleaning, the birds love the nest box and they all sleep together with no issues. Again if you are just using the Cube and run fewer birds is better, The run IMO will not be large enough for confined birds.

https://www.ukalcanada.com/en/ribbo...2aX6RbamwnhCDXRQ8ZJY11xFnMXWgkgRoCqqMQAvD_BwE

I also use this Electric portable fence (see above link) for free ranging. As I move my portable setup I just move the netting as well. This winter I just snow blow paths in the field for the birds, they hate snow and the snow is just like a fence lol.
Cool. It sounds like a nice set up. I really love the coop because it’s so easy to clean and I feel very well engineered for temperature control, we got the run with extra space but I love having my birds free range while supervised everyday.
I would love to see a photo of your set up if you don’t mind.

Bummer! I applaud you for culling them if you can't rehome them. I almost had to do the same thing when I had an unexpected cockerel. I was researching and mentally preparing for it when I lucked out and found him a home at a nearby farm.
Yeah , trust me it was not an easy decision and the very first one we harvested at 14 weeks was brutal emotionally. I had a headache all day but the soup was delicious and my husband and I promised ourselves we would not waste one piece of food from that meal! This time I hope it will be easier because I now know this is the solution many people find to be the best tor them. I’m glad you were able to find a home tor your cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom