Is the sound of a crow genetic?

AOrchard

Songster
May 27, 2020
Wisconsin
My bantam cochin has developed a rather beautiful crow. It's got a bit of a trill, and is somewhat... almost musical compared to my other roosters.

Any ideas if he would pass this on?

He wasn't my planned keeper but one sounds like a rusty nail and the other trails off with a warble like a dying thing.

Attachments

• PXL_20221003_222344133.jpg
    PXL_20221003_222344133.jpg
    751.9 KB · Views: 15
Humans can pass a good voice on. So why not roosters?

They even have been breeding with the characteristic of a long crow rooster breed.

I suppose it’s worth a try if he behaves well too.

What do the hens say?

(btw I have no experience with this)

Laughing chickens were created, by selecting for that particular(Laughing)crow.

Crowing traits can be passed on. Last year I had a cockerel that inherited his father's screaming crow. I never got a chance to get a video of him, & his father crowing though.

What do the hens say?
"Bawk. Bawk bawk bawk. BAWK."

Sorry I couldn't resist! Actually he's been peaceful and mild mannered. Doesn't cause a ruckus at all with the hens or I. They ignore him for the most part and he just hangs around. The hens are currently peacefully split between a mottled cochin (long term keeper) and a young red frizzle (another spring baby), which are the only two I planned to keep, until I heard this guy's crow. The red is a pretty solid rooster actually, besides looking a little funny, he has kind leadership and good behaviors with hens and I. Maybe I'll just hang on to both red and this black guy and get rid of all their brothers for now, and see if the three do well together.

Attachments

• PXL_20221003_222948252.jpg
    PXL_20221003_222948252.jpg
    845.2 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom