Is the stretching normal?

Wow! Don't you just love chicks? They're so funny!

Believe it or not, i have an EE who does that. But she's 9 months old! I have a plastic plant pot filled with dirt that i keep in my coop to put the feeder on to keep it elevated. One day when the feeder was not on the pot, my EE was lying in it with her legs sticking off the side in a weird angle. I walked over there and she gave me a look that said "Hey what are you looking at?" Also, I've had my chickens lay deep under my elevated (but only by about a foot) nesting box! My mom went out to see the chickens once and my BA was squished under there! My mom freaked out and thought the poor chicken was dead! Also, my third hen, a WL, was once found sitting INSIDE the feeder (aparently laying an egg!) The chickens at my house are some of the craziest around!

Don't worry, if you see a chick in some crazy position, the last thing to think is that it's dead.
big_smile.png

Chickens- don't you just love 'em?
smile.png
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif
jumpy.gif

Mine lay around in a kind of puppy pile and they certainly LOOK dead....until I start to feed them,lol.
big_smile.png

when we had our first chicks i was scared to death.. they were so dead! but they soon popped up.. have you ever seen a ferret? omg you can actually pick them up and they stay totally limp.. their heads falls all over the place and they don't wake up.. eventually i shook it and it woke up.. now i am used to it.. but it does scare you.. think of all the babies who fall asleep in the high chair. right into their food.. i guess all babies do it

DH woke me up at 2am one morning to tell me he was sure one of our little EE's was dead. When I got out to the brooder, she was up eating and scampering around. We just looked at each other and laughed.
lol.png
They remind me of those beanie babies that were so popular some years ago - just go limp in the strangest positions.

yuckyuck.gif
That looks like my DH in the morning!!
I've had a few "dead chick" moments. Scared the crap out of me. Are chicks kinda narcoleptic?? Mine will be running around, eating, etc and just fall over asleep.

Is this normal? This chick likes to stretch his legs. The yellow chick stretches her legs out behind her sometimes but this one flips over on his side! They all seem healthy..as far as I can tell with my limited experience!

49095_my_peeps_044.jpg

All three have pooped, drank some water, and are pecking the food!
big_smile.png

49095_my_peeps_046.jpg
Is this burlap instead of bedding for your babies? I’ve heard of sand too but I am new to having chicks.

Back
Top Bottom