6 week baby chick splay leg

KimHoward

In the Brooder
May 25, 2023
My baby chick is 6 weeks old and I noticed that one the legs goes outward and the knee area is larger. She has a limp but runs and jumps around with the others when I take her outside for fresh air. She is the 1st born hatch from an incubator of 5. I did watch a video and have her legs taped up so they are closer together. Other than that she seems normal, eating, drinking, pooping, running and stretching her wings while outside. It looks amazing when they are all outside together, looks like little butterflies fluttering in the coop yard.

My baby chick is 6 weeks old and I noticed that one the legs goes outward and the knee area is larger. She has a limp but runs and jumps around with the others when I take her outside for fresh air. She is the 1st born hatch from an incubator of 5. I did watch a video and have her legs taped up so they are closer together. Other than that she seems normal, eating, drinking, pooping, running and stretching her wings while outside. It looks amazing when they are all outside together, looks like little butterflies fluttering in the coop yard.
The way you describe them made me giggle as it's true! They do look like fluttering butterflies!

It sounds like you did good to "hobble" it's legs. I'm guessing it hurt itself somehow if it's got a larger knee and you've just noticed all of this recently. The hobbling might help it keep the movement down so it can heal. I would also give them some vitamin water too to help boost the healing. I use Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell, but there are lots just make sure B complex is in it as that helps with healing.

Back
Top Bottom