Is the stretching normal?

I have a pullet who when she was just hatched would sleep in the middle of the brooder and the other chicks would literally walk over her. She still seems odd... an EE that's totally laid back. I thought she possibly might be blind or deaf but i've sort of tested her and that's all ok.
idunno.gif

The "dead" chick is fine. I had Kitty do that to me the first 24-36 hours I had her. Scared me to death!!! After she started sleeping in the typical chick positions, I was able to stop worrying. She was my "sleepy chicky" for a couple days. Never quite got as energetic as her sibs, but she is sure energetic now. I imagine a chick has to be pretty darn tired to end up like that. Lol.

Who wouldn't think this meant 'dead chicken' Lol.

48664_dscn0195.jpg

48664_dscn0205.jpg

Quote:
I said almost the exact same thing yesterday. It really is amazing that they hatch out knowing all this stuff. Like the grab-it-and-run-screaming-hysterically dance. That cracks me up.

I posted a pic of one of my chicks yesterday under Raising Baby Chicks "Check out this goofball!". Thought for sure it was dead, but no he/she is perfectly fine. Just likes sleeping this way! Almost two weeks old now and absolutely adorable:) I don't think you have anything to worry about:)

25281_pict0002.jpg

THAT is exactly the pose that scared the bejeezus out of me the first time I saw it with my first batch of chicks. OMG, I'm a horrible mother, what did I do wrong???!?!?!?

I reached for the chick, already half a sob in my throat, and as soon as I touched her, she woke right up.

Nuthin'. Just takin' a nap, Mom.

Whew!

Last edited:
Quote:
OMG...How sweet!! The pictures are just adorable!! I just love my little chicks! They are already getting personalities and will come to me now when I go to their box.

Thanks everybody for relieving my anxiety! I really appreciate all the feedback! These are my very first chickens and I'm going to have a lot of questions!

Wait until they do it when they are older like 8- 10 weeks old. One of mine did that while outside the coop on a warm sunny day and was just all splayed out. My husband thought she had broken her leg or was injured so he went to go pick her up and the chick was like "What! I am just sun bathing and relaxing." It was totally startled.

Last edited:
abanjaf, That is so adorable!!!!!
I wish I would have kept my cam closer. I was just so amazed or scared I never thought about it until it was to late. LOL

God Bless!

Back
Top Bottom