1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is their a way to tell which hens are laying eggs and which are not?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kimt816, Sep 23, 2008.

1. kimt816

kimt816 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2008
    kernersville, nc
    i have 19 hens a mixture of buff o's and rhode islandsx red stars i get anywhere from 6-9 eggs a day but i cant tell who is laying them is their anyway to determine which hens are producing and which arent besides watching who gets in boxes ( thanks )[​IMG]

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Put a dab of food coloring on the top of the vent area. It's not fun but it works [​IMG]

3. kimt816

kimt816 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2008
    kernersville, nc
    do you do one chicken at a time at a time or different colors ? with 19 girls this ought to be fun [​IMG]

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Ya I mix as many different colors as I can and them put some on one set of hens and wait...then more later on a different set of hens. Pick the ones you THINK may be laying first. Ya I have 15 hens and it was lots of fun. I only have one laying hen but I want to know who lays what and they are all about to start laying...they are 9 weeks old, so I'm all ready [​IMG] I tried it on my hen I KNOW is laying and it worked [​IMG] Read about it here on a different thread long ago.

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Oh don't forget to mark down on paper which hen has which color [​IMG]

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Pick the chicken up and look at the vent. Hens that are laying or really ready to lay will have moist, pink vents. After a good long while of laying they will start to get bare bottoms too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by