Is their anything I can do instead of quarantine for new birds?

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 :

Ok I am no longer getting new chickens.
sad.png
You guys saved my flock.
big_smile.png
Thanks !

Sounds like you made the right decision.

In the spring there are going to be chicks everywhere. Just hold on a little bit longer and it will all be worth it.
thumbsup.gif

I would think if you're buying chicks from a hatchery, you'll be fine with little to no risk. I have 3 chickens in quarantine right now. I bought a wire dog crate on CraigsList for $40-- it's the extra large one that is 4 feet long. Plenty big enough to keep them in for a while. They are in my garage. They also ended up having some issues... so VERY glad that I did not put them with my chickens! Look on CraigsList if you ever need a "hospital" kennel or a place to put a chicken that needs extra attention. I have 3 large wire crates in my garage for such occassions. I use the crate cups that have the hooks that fit over the wire for food. Works great.

when i quarentine, it's usually in the basement in anything from a rabbit hutch, a homemade cage, a covered dog pen or crate, or even a large cardboard box with an old screen or some chicken wire on top if it's only a 1 or 2 chickens. i've heard 2 weeks is an okay QT period, but i like to go at least 3-4, especially if i'm unsure about the health of the new animals.

Last edited:
<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 :

ep.gif
where I live we have 4 deffinate seasons. Summer it gets really really hot like bake a chicken hot, in spring its perfect, in fall its pretty nice, but breezey, in winter compared to the rest its cold. We maby get 1 snow 2 times at the most. 39* thats cold. For a visual, I usual am able to wear shorts on christmas, no shorts this time
hmm.png
h ow long have you lived in Ohio?
frow.gif

I've lived here all my life. I would really like to live in Tennessee.​

Quote:
Very bad idea. The indiscriminate use of antibiotics is resulting in more & more organisms that are antibiotic resistant.
Personally, I don't do anthing but buy birds from reliable sources. I don't quarantine & I've never had a disease or vermin problem as a result.

NYReds, I agree with you but for a different reason. Antibiotics knocks out any probiotics in their system. Why would anyone want to start them off with that disadvantage?

If you need to treat them, do what you need to do and deal with the consequences. But do you treat your kids for strep throat when they are healthy? Why would you treat your chickens when you don't know or even suspect they are sick? If you think they are sick, why are you adding them to your flock?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom