Is there a Barred Orpington?

Since you seem to be quite knowledgeable on the subject...

I read somewhere that the difference in crispness between Barred Rocks and Cuckoo Marans has to do with fast/slow feathering genes, but the barring gene is the same. Would introducing it from Barred Rocks keep the colors crisper, or would it be influenced by the feathering genes of the Orp, regardless of where the gene comes from.

OR is the cuckoo gene actually different from the barring gene? I've been curious about this for a while.

I agree a crisply barred orp would be quite striking! I'll put that on my to do list when I get my farm some day...

Quote:
I am working on Buff Barred Orps, they're still a bit away though.

And I'm pretty sure Barred Orpingtons (black barred ) are common across the pond, but I don't know of any here in the US, They would be fairly easy to make though and I had actally though about making them myself but I decided that if I did, some people who can't tell the type of a bird if it kicked them in the teeth would think they are Barred Rocks or " Domineckers" and end up crossing them with barred rocks and messing up both breeds. But if you wanted to make them, it should be easy to do. White Orpingtons may work but I suggest using Black Orpington hens, the best quality I would recommend would be from hinkjc or Bama chicken, and get show quality Barred Rocks ( SQ Barred Rocks, even though they have yellow leggs would be my preference over the white legged Cuckoo Marans because you would get crisper, narrow barring instead of the messier Cuckoo pattern.

And just keeop crossing the best male Barred offspring with the best PURE Black Orp hens. Most of the time your offspring roos will be heterozygous barred and will produce half barred and half black birds when bred back to the Black Orp hens (they won't be sexlinks though) So just keep selecting for Barred roos or you will lose the barring.

Hey, I had one of those! This chick was sired by my Blue Orpington rooster with my huge RIR/Buff Orpington hen, Meg. If you look at my blue Orp rooster, Suede, you can see the barring gene present in his sickles, but I never really thought of it as barring until this chick popped out of Meg's egg.
DCP_2597.jpg

DCP_2595.jpg

He is owned by lockedhearts now. We named him Random the day she picked him up.

Here are the parents--see the variation in Suede's tail?
DCP_1945.jpg

Quote:
Barring and Cuckoo is the same gene, it's just the difference in the feathering rate like you said. With the one Cuckoo Maran I have had, he feathered out very quickly and just had messy looking barring and I didn't like it at all, I'm not quite sure about the feathering rate of Orpingtons as far as how it would influende the barring pattern, most of the time, young Orps can be sexed by the rate of the feather growth, ( yound females usually grow long wing and tail feathers and the males take a while to catch up. But I know Barred Rocks are generally slow feathering which makes their barringing crisper and I would hope that would be passed to the Orps if it were bred into them.

Quote:
That's strange Cynthia, I actually don't see and barring in Suede in that pic or any of the other pics I've saw him in before. If he, did have barring, you should be able to see it more than that since it is the easiest to see in roos than hens that are barred other than black barred. and I really wouldn't expect the chick to have that much barring if he was from him. Your chick look more typical of what you would get with a Barred Rock roo on a red hen. Are you sure Meg didn't go prowlin and found her another fella ?

I have a newbie question for you all...it does relate somewhat. What am I going to get(aside from "Mutts") out of my Buff op roo and 1)barred rock 2) SLW 3) Australope? My buff OP pullet is sitting on everyones contrabution! Thanks! and stay warm...another 4 inches of that white crap overnight...I AM SO OVER WINTER!!!!!

Quote:
From your Buff roo on Barred hens you would get Black Sexlinks. I'll include pics of mine at the bottom

From the Buff roo on the Silver laced hens, you will get some type of red sexlink. They may have some indication of laying and would mostlikley have rose combs.

From the Buff roo on the black Australorp hens, I'm not quite sure about this one and it may depend on which way the crossing is as far as the resulting color but I think you would get either hens and roos similar to the Sexlink hens below, or they would be black with messy white lacing. Again I'm not sure if t depends on if the BA is the mother or the father.

Anyway, here are the sexlinks I got from the cross of a BO roo on BR hens, gold/black females, silver/barred males

37373_chicks_044.jpg

37373_chicks_050.jpg

37373_100_4367.jpg

37373_100_4370.jpg

37373_100_5227.jpg

37373_100_5220.jpg

37373_100_5224.jpg

Last edited:
THANK YOU RAREROO! The visuals are great! You have speckled sussex dont you?....would love to get some of those. Do you ship chicks? (whenever it gets warm again...if it ever gets warm again...Global warmin my A _ _!) I might have access to my friends bator if that is the only option.

Quote:
That's strange Cynthia, I actually don't see and barring in Suede in that pic or any of the other pics I've saw him in before. If he, did have barring, you should be able to see it more than that since it is the easiest to see in roos than hens that are barred other than black barred. and I really wouldn't expect the chick to have that much barring if he was from him. Your chick look more typical of what you would get with a Barred Rock roo on a red hen. Are you sure Meg didn't go prowlin and found her another fella ?

No, it was impossible for it to be sired by anyone other than Suede. The pens do not adjoin and the fences are over five feet high. If my BR had managed to jump out of his own pen and jump into Suede's pen, there would have been major bloodshed and/or a dead rooster. Meg had been in with Suede for months before I collected the eggs. The barring is in Suede's sickles and it's very faint, but it's light/dark/light/dark on the blue in those feathers. I don't know if you know this, but years ago, to offset inbreeding issues, Sandhill Preservation bred in Blue Rocks to their Blue Orp lines. Maybe one of those was blue barred? Anyway, it's definitely the son of Suede with Meg. Maybe the following pic will show the barring better.
DCP_8063.jpg

Quote:

No, it was impossible for it to be sired by anyone other than Suede. The pens do not adjoin and the fences are over five feet high. If my BR had managed to jump out of his own pen and jump into Suede's pen, there would have been major bloodshed and/or a dead rooster. Meg had been in with Suede for months before I collected the eggs. The barring is in Suede's sickles and it's very faint, but it's light/dark/light/dark on the blue in those feathers. I don't know if you know this, but years ago, to offset inbreeding issues, Sandhill Preservation bred in Blue Rocks to their Blue Orp lines. Maybe one of those was blue barred? Anyway, it's definitely the son of Suede with Meg. Maybe the following pic will show the barring better.
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/ClutchHutch/Blue Orpington Pen/DCP_8063.jpg

Oh, OK that may be possible and since the barring is so faint he would be het. barred which would be the case anyway if he can from Orpingtons. That was another thing that was throwing me off, she has Orp type so if he did have barring bred in, it would have had to been a few years down the line and bred back to Orps.

Back
Top Bottom