Is there a chance any of these 6 week old Liege Fighters is a pullet?

I've learned to not trust face color/ combs/wattles until you KNOW the breed characteristics as they develop. Leg thickness, same thing - I swore I had a flock of cockerel sussexes once but the pullets were mixed in there with monster sized legs and upright stance just like the boys. NOW I can tell earlier on sussexes but not then!

Best indicator I've found is by grabbing them and parting their feathers along their backs until you see skin and the pin feathers coming in. Some breeds I've seen definitive saddle feathers by 5 weeks, others by 9 weeks.

And I'm in love with 4 and 5. :D

Interesting! I haven't heard of that technique, but I'll definitely take a closer look and see what I can find! :D
Will only cockerels have these pin feathers along their backs? Or will the pullets have them too but have more rounded feathers coming in instead of a cockerels more pointy feathers?
I'll see if I can manage to get pictures of their backs!

Aren't they pretty!! And I just adore their bright colored eyes :love

You got it. Both genders will have pun feathers developing but females will have rounded ends and males will have pointed ends like a fine paint brush. Can't go by sheen until you know your breed as some breeds have super glossy laced feathers on both sexes. Usually color can be a good indicator like glossy gold or glossy red on a blue or black based bird... more likely male.

I see!
I've now looked at their backs and taken a few pictures, and I only saw pin feathers on the two black chicks, 2 and 3. I tried spreading the back feathers on the others but couldn't see any pins on them..

rygg1.jpg

rygg.jpg

rygg0.jpg

rygg8.jpg

rygg7.jpg

rygg14.jpg

rygg3.jpg

rygg12.jpg

rygg10.jpg

(3 above, 2 below)

rygg5.jpg

rygg11.jpg

rygg4.jpg

rygg13.jpg

rygg2.jpg

rygg9.jpg

rygg6.jpg

And a little side note:
I heard someone attempt to crow several times this morning (either that or someone was dying :lol:), and when I went to check who it was I didn't manage to catch him in the act, but I saw them about half a second after it had stopped and I'm 80% sure it was nr 2. He looked like he was just done doing something naughty (or amazing, depending on whether you've been looking forward to them making that sound :rolleyes:) while the others were going about their business. But because I didn't catch him doing it I can't guarantee it was him I heard, of course. But with those saddle feathers coming in I wouldn't be surprised! Cause those are very cockerel-y, right? A fine paint brush shape like you said.
4 and 5 - pullets? Their feathers look quite rounded to me..
1 - pullet...? The feathers look round and I can't see any pointy ones like on 2, but that might be because 2's are easy to distinguish the shape of cause they are so bright and contrasted to his otherwise black feathering. I can't really see the outlines of most of the feathers with his/her splash coloring, they sort of melt into each other.. :(
3 - I have absolutely no clue. I wouldn't even dare take a guess. :lau His yellow feathers look like they could be the shape of a fine paint brush that has had its bristles all worn down and going in all directions.. And I don't know how to interpret that in terms of pullet or cockerel.. :lol::rolleyes:

What do you think? :wee

Last edited:
I see!
I've now looked at their backs and taken a few pictures, and I only saw pin feathers on the two black chicks, 2 and 3. I tried spreading the back feathers on the others but couldn't see any pins on them..

View attachment 1909541

View attachment 1909540

View attachment 1909543
View attachment 1909544
View attachment 1909545

View attachment 1909546

View attachment 1909549
View attachment 1909547
View attachment 1909550
(3 above, 2 below)

View attachment 1909551
View attachment 1909552
View attachment 1909554

View attachment 1909555
View attachment 1909556

View attachment 1909557
View attachment 1909558

And a little side note:
I heard someone attempt to crow several times this morning (either that or someone was dying :lol:), and when I went to check who it was I didn't manage to catch him in the act, but I saw them about half a second after it had stopped and I'm 80% sure it was nr 2. He looked like he was just done doing something naughty (or amazing, depending on whether you've been looking forward to them making that sound :rolleyes:) while the others were going about their business. But because I didn't catch him doing it I can't guarantee it was him I heard, of course. But with those saddle feathers coming in I wouldn't be surprised! Cause those are very cockerel-y, right? A fine paint brush shape like you said.
4 and 5 - pullets? Their feathers look quite rounded to me..
1 - pullet...? The feathers look round and I can't see any pointy ones like on 2, but that might be because 2's are easy to distinguish the shape of cause they are so bright and contrasted to his otherwise black feathering. I can't really see the outlines of most of the feathers with his/her splash coloring, they sort of melt into each other.. :(
3 - I have absolutely no clue. I wouldn't even dare take a guess. :lau His yellow feathers look like they could be the shape of a fine paint brush that has had its bristles all worn down and going in all directions.. And I don't know how to interpret that in terms of pullet or cockerel.. :lol::rolleyes:

What do you think? :wee
Not sure on 1 just yet but leaning Pullet
2&3 both seem like cockerels from coloring to me
4&5 both look like pullets

Back
Top Bottom