Is there a chance for this little one?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Swissmiss989, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Swissmiss989

Swissmiss989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    I bought eggs from the BYC auctions (great sellers btw) and I had them shipped. When received a few had the air sacks moving in them. I put DOA on them and stuck them in the incubater (just in case). All but one didnt change. I removed them and examined the odd ball. To my surprise this little guy started growing but the air sack still floats around in the egg. We are on day 10. I have not turned this egg in hopes the air sack would set, but it hasn't. What are my odds of keeping this one alive and maybe a full hatching? Is there anything I can do to help it? Lock down is quickly approaching any advice would be great!

2. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011
    Has this happened to anyone else before?

3. shanshan51

shanshan51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Vacaville, CA
    I have some growing with moving air cells as well from shipped eggs. I sure hope they hatch as well! Good Luck

4. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011
    I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for both of us!

5. suburbanchickymama

suburbanchickymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Apex, NC
    Yikes! Good luck! I do remember reading while I was hatching that it is possible for them to hatch so I hope so! Hopefully a pro will come along. I feel like I remember something about orienting the egg so that it's in the best spot for them to hopefully pip into the sac, but I can't remember well enough to help. Maybe do a search for it? Good luck!!!

6. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I have a bunch of muscovy eggs with detached and bubbly air cells (also shipped).. personally so long as the yolk is good I don't worry about detached air cells any more..
    I have never had one reattach like they say they will if you let them set for a few days without turning..
    so now I just set the eggs the day they arrive and don't worry about it any more..

the only thing I would suggest is when you set them be sure that you use a turner or egg cartons where the pointy end will be down.. i think your hatching rates would be better doing it that way than if you laid them on their sides

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    As far as turning the egg, it's imperative. I think a 30 degree side to side is okay to do instead of a full fledged 180 manual turn. Cut off about a 1-2 inch section of toilet paper/paper towel roll and place the egg big side up. Then turn it like a clock at a 30 degree angle every 8 hours or so placing the big end toward the 12 o'clock, then 3 and 6 and 9, etc. This way you can keep up with which position is next while causing minimal disruption of the air cell. I've had some success with this method.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by