Is there a cleaner way to kill a duck???

.22 to the head is about the easiest kill to me.All that movement afterwards is just nerves firing off.They're essentially dead at that point.

We've used cones, but what worked best for us is for one of us to use a string noose to stretch the duck's neck across a log and for the other to chop off the head. Brain activity stops after a couple seconds, and I believe that shock blocks the pain for that time. Even if it doesn't, decapitation is thought to be one of the most humane methods of killing. We hold the bird down until flapping stops, then hang it to drain. We don't find the blood to be predator bait for our local creatures - cats, dogs, foxes, coyotes, racoons, skunks, vultures. There is a youtube video of a guy using the noose method by himself but it seems awkward. There is also youtube video of Hutterites doing their annual duck kill using electric shock. No blood or flapping, but it is equipment intensive and seems to me it would be pretty terrifying for the ducks, hanging by their feet from a moving conveyance. However, they are Pekins and always look like they are smiling
hmm.png
. The key to removing feathers is to scald the ducks and use a plucking machine. If they have dark feathers, make sure none are growing in, or 1) use a sauce and cook the heck out of them, or 2) skin them and forego scalding & plucking. Plucked or not. we usually just take quarters, so no messy gutting. The key to tender home-raised poultry - roast for hours at 250F, and then brown, smoke or whatever. Brining or a using yogurt-based marinade for a couple days in the frig also helps. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom