Is there a "correct" size for a chicken door for my coop?

kiaya611

Songster
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Lebanon, OR
I am ready to put in my chicken door to the chicken yard and was wondering if there is a "correct" size for the door to be. I was thinking 12" wide by 15" tall but I would like your input before I start cutting a hole in the wall
smile.png

Thank you for your help
smile.png

make it just big enough for them to go in and out. This will help in cold weather and if a dog was to get there harder for them to get in. This makes it safest for your Chickens!

Mine is approximately 10” x 12” then I had to put a board in the middle because the dogs started going inside for eggs, they the chickens just need to duck down a little no problem and I get all the eggs.

We used a pet door that was on the house we bought. It was too small for our 100+# Great Pyr to use, but it is perfect for our chickens. They haven't figured out the flap, so I use the door to hold it out of the way when the door is open.

Here is Eleanor our White Faced Black Spanish in front of the chicken pet door to the hen house last autumn...

Last edited:
I agree smaller is better for the chicken door as long as they don't all try go go in at once! Mine just go through the main door, but their egg quarters have a door that is about 8"x12", even my 10 lb roo can get through it too!

Back
Top Bottom