Is there a correct way to clean eggs that you are going to eat/sell?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CBarrett, Dec 2, 2011.

1. CBarrett

CBarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Crestview, FL
    Is there a homemade solution you can use, or is just water good enough? I saw some egg cleaning spray at the feed store, but I'd rather come up with a solution myself if possible. I know you shouldn't clean them if you're going to incubate, but what about the ones you refrigerate?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't wash any egg, not the ones for my family's use and not the ones I sell. According to Arkansas law if I want to sell them I should clean any visible manure with a piece of fine grit sandpaper, but thankfully I rarely see a dirty egg.

Edited for spelling, my brain went on vacation again [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  3. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    I never wash an egg. I do wipe off any dirt with a dry scrap of t-shirt, but I rarely get a dirty egg. They go straight into a basket on the kitchen counter.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

For ones to sell, I'd probably take a damp sponge to them if you saw dirty areas. Mine at home go straight to the fridge. If there's a smear of poo or blood, I rinse it off before I crack the egg open.

5. BCchick

BCchick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2011
    I do rinse mine in warm water if they have any poop or stains/smears on them. People do not want to buy poopy or stained eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by