Is there a Difference Between Easter Egger and an Ameracauna???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chick818, May 4, 2009.

1. chick818

chick818 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    I continue to see conflicting answers. Is there truly a difference? I have 4 young chicks (2 cochins and 2 mystery birds) and I would like to add a couple of more. This breed is one I am interested in but I am confused as to which name is the true name I should be searching for.

Thank You
    ~ Tara

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    The short answer is yes there is.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Absolutely agreed--seems like it should be easy, and shouldn't be emotional [​IMG]

5. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Quote:I think the misunderstanding is caused by all the hatcheries selling the EEs as "Ameraucana/Araucanas." Then purchasers are told by others that they are not either, but are EEs. I've seen hatchery websites that call them "Ameraucanas/Araucanas, the Easter Egger Chickens." Guess that could be confusing to some.

6. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    I agree with all the above, especially with regard to where the vast majority of confusion most likely comes from. If you do a Search on here for "Ameraucana" (and you can add me as the Author), you will find more than you probably care to read on the subject.

God Bless,

7. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    I bought a pullet from the feedstore. Was told she was a Ameracauna. She is clearly a EE. But for me I wanted the dark green eggs so I was more then happy with her. EE's are a pleasure to raise and so sweet. I did buy some White Ameracaunas from a member of our forum because I knew they would be true Ameracauna's. Which by the way was one of my best hatches ever! And they are simply stunning. I kept one pullet , and my friend has the rest of them. She has stunning light eyes and is also so sweet. Also true Ameracauna's lay blue eggs.
    EE's can lay green colors like olive , and some even pink. I have also heard some even lay brown [​IMG] So you kinda with a EE got to wait and see. But both are really nice birds. So really would depend on what you want.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have both and love them all. My true Ameraucanas are the sweetest birds I own.

9. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Someone has to post on this, at least once a week. [​IMG]

10. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Is it rare for EE's to lay blue eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by