Is there a fertilizer that won't harm ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TMarie, Mar 23, 2013.

1. TMarie

TMarie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2013
    I want to fertilize our yard this year, I want the nice soft grass. But I think it'd be impossible to keep ducks from eating the grass right? So is there a certain fertilizer that will make the grass soft, plush, and kill weeds but not my ducks?

I don't know if area makes a difference but I live in Illinois.

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Can you take the "muck" from the duck area and then spread it on the grass and let the ducks mow your grass? If not, I don't know of a chemical free weeder. I have heard that pouring vinegar straight on weeds helps????

Maybe that is an option..... Great luck! We love our ducks too!

3. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I was going to say just let your ducks fertilize your lawn for you. That's what I do. And if you have an area you need thatched, that's another job for the ducks-- as far as I'm concerned, they are the best at thatching and aerating.

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    You would need to get a pet and bird friendly, probably organic fertilizer. I would check with the manufacturer to be sure. Even many organic products recommend not letting pets in the area after the product is watered in. Because ducks eat grass, dirt, and gravel, I would use extreme care.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by