1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is there a interest in some standard silkie eggs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by shadowpaints, May 11, 2011.

1. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    [​IMG] How did you develop them?

2. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    Quote:i started with a few abnormally huge silkies that i accidently found. working on breeding the original hens and their granddaughters with the best quality bigger roo i can find. we are working on making them more 'typy' too [​IMG]

ill be posting a auction for 8+ eggs on the 20th. the auction will be for 5 days. i will gather eggs from the 25th-27th. just incase you all were wondering!

3. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    8-10 lbs! That's AWESOME!

4. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

I really like those.Glad you told us about them. [​IMG]

5. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Four years ago I ordered from JM Hatchery and got Wooly (she weighs around 3.5 poulds, very large bodied for a silkie hen) Try contacting them? They sell only whites but I got a couple partridge and black from them. You could just weed out the single combs and breed your birds to them to achieve the correct comb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. SabaiFarms

SabaiFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2011
    Calhan, Colorado
    I want some! How awesome!

I will be watching for the auction!

7. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:Don't mean to sound judgemental here, but have you actually weighed these birds, or are you just guessing the weight? I don't do bantams, but the idea of a LF Silkie does appeal to me! 8-10 pound hens sounds like what I would like to have, but do you have any pics with them on a scale like one of the posters did? Call me skeptical, but a 10 pound hen is more like the size of a Brahma. I'm from Missouri, the "show me state"! [​IMG] Thanks!

8. shadowpaints

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    Quote:Don't mean to sound judgemental here, but have you actually weighed these birds, or are you just guessing the weight? I don't do bantams, but the idea of a LF Silkie does appeal to me! 8-10 pound hens sounds like what I would like to have, but do you have any pics with them on a scale like one of the posters did? Call me skeptical, but a 10 pound hen is more like the size of a Brahma. I'm from Missouri, the "show me state"! [​IMG] Thanks!

i do not have a pic of one on a scale. but i can tell you this, they are as big as my Standard blue cochin roo. my smallest hen is about 6 lbs and the biggest is 10. the resulting chicks from these wont be as big, simply because i havent been keeping the roosters, i have been getting silkie roosters that are just a pound or 2 bigger than normal.
    i have another seperate pen trying to get a big rooster, but that will be a while
    also, if you look at the pic in the beggining, the hen standing next to a RIR hen is only abour 4-5 months old, and she was bigger than the RIR then, now she is bigger than my RIR

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  9. java girl 2

java girl 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    NY
    Are the cocks mean? I got some and the cocks are very mean:mad: so I got to eat them!![​IMG]

10. shadowpaints

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    none of the roosters we have raised have been mean, they have been just as sweet and mellow as my regular silkie roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by