is there a interest in some standard silkie eggs

Quote:
I think the goal with these birds that shadowpaints has is to improve upon type, while maintaining a large fowl size. There is really good size here, and they look all Silkie, but need improvement on leg feathering and comb type for now as well as later selecting for the more typey birds for breeding. I too want the s-shaped body, vault/better crest, etc.

Hence why I said I may be looking for a large typey roo soon. Hoping maybe some of the Silkie breeders with good birds on here might be able to help us out in that department
wink.png
I have no problem at all paying good money for a really nice rooster, as a really typey rooster from good lines will be worth his weight in gold as far as bringing in the real type these birds need. Hoping to find a really nice rooster in the future that maybe got too big to show. That is after I hatch out these eggs and have some birds to work with
fl.gif

Can you imagine having LF sized Silkie that conformed to the APA standard in all ways except the bantam part?! I think that would be really neat.

My blue roo has a nice sized crest, correct comb and feathering...... everything is good I think, not checked toe spacing... He is too big to show I think.......just not as body typey as I want. Of course, I am picky LOL

I will see if I can get DD out to help me with pics. I think our scales are still at the farm, so no way to weigh him today.

ETA: This roo is not crossed to cochins or anything. I think he was just a fluke.

Last edited:
I think it would be awesome to have huge 10lb show quality silkies! They would have even more fluff
love.gif
It would take quite a while to see the extremely typey silkies in large fowl though.

The bad thing is there are some silkies that are pretty big already. If large fowl were created now, then there would be silkies of every size from tiny to medium to large. Hopefully pure bantam silkie remain pure. Im sure they would though. How did large fowl of other breeds come about? Like cochins for example. The bantam version is much smaller and the large fowl version is much bigger. There obviously distinguishable but I wonder how long that took. I know when the large silkies are made, there will be a lot more "middle class" silkies being shown and could be bred with the bantams and large fowl. Lets hope they all don't just get mixed up, ya know? I think I'm just rambling here!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I understood what you were saying!!
smile.png

They could have different classes for them in the shows, like for Poodles? Like Teacup, Miniature, and Standard? Forgive me Poodle breeders, I'm not up on the correct classes of the breed, but you see what I mean?
big_smile.png
Like a Bantam should be half the size of a Standard, and a Midsize (just reaching here for a name), would be in the middle class, and a Standard would be the Large Fowl version. S,M, and L if you will?
lol.png

I am wondering if there has been any progress in this breed?
The eggs I ordered from paints didn't hatch, sadly. I had a few batches of trouble with my bator and life got busy.
Is anyone else working on this?

Back
Top Bottom