Is there a name for the parting of feathers down the keel? Any significance?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Coykoi, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Coykoi

Coykoi Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2016
    I've searched as many word combinations that I can think of but cant find any mention of this. Two of my birds have a definite "crease" of feathers down the keel line. It sort of looks like they styled their feathers to have a part down the middle of their chest to achieve the "lift and separate look". Is there a name for this and is it significant of anything?

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Here's a good article on feathers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feather

If you read it through a couple times, you might be able to figure out why the feathers on the keel behave that way.

1 person likes this.
  3. Coykoi

Sep 6, 2016
    Thanks for the link, so it looks like its just feathers following their tracks. I wonder why half of my birds show this and half don't? Maybe some birds just have more "luxurious locks" than others [​IMG]

Has anyone here seen certain birds that are more prone to this, breed, gender, etc? I have two (or maybe three breeds, depending on what one bird eventually turns out to be), and it's one of each (assuming two breeds) that's showing this. Does this trait have a name? Is there anything to be careful of? I found one article in regard to parrots that said that overweight birds show this, which I guess makes sense that if the skin is stretched that there would be more space between the tracks and therefore more gaps. Anyone have experience with portly birds having a higher occurrence of "chest parts"?

4. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    I'm having a little trouble visualizing...can you post a pic? In some of the oriental breeds the feathers are pretty hard/short so the keel is left bare. I have a Shamo pullet that is getting a bit bare-breasted as she grows.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What breeds of chickens are you dealing with?

The one that comes to mind is Dark Cornish (well, all the real Cornish, I guess, not just the Dark). They're so large breasted their feathers split in front.

Agree we need pics.

6. Coykoi

Sep 6, 2016
    I'll try to get some picks tomorrow, the two in question are a Buff Orpington and what was supposed to be a Black Australorp, but might be a sex link or a JG that ended up in the wrong bin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by