Is there a reliable and safe medical treatment to eliminate hen from laying?

missypebble

Songster
9 Years
Mar 11, 2011
Hi BYC members -

For the last several years, I raised a total of 4 hens, but currently, there are only 2 surviving. I don't consume egg, nor any animal products, but I love hen dearly, and I treat them all as an important member of the family, and yes, they all are my "kids".

I recently lost one sweet, angelic hen to EYP. The experience is not a pleasant one - I suffer, ache and blame it all on myself for what had happened to her. She was my most prolific layer and her egg was always the size of a duck egg. She had fragile bone, silky feather, sweet looking eyes and always made the most funny noise while pruning herself. If she devoured food at all, 90% of it would go into producing the egg. I know this because as soon as she finished laying her egg, her weight drastically became lighter, as if there was nothing left in her - she worked too hard for those eggs. I don't consume eggs, so once every few days, I would cook the eggs and feed those back to the hens. I tried not to feed too much to them, but I guess I could easily over-do it. She was everything a sweet, and docile hen could be. I will mourn over her death for years to come and this may sound crazy to many people, but I sincerely hope she will not come back in her next life as another chicken. Yes, I could easily get another hen, but again, I treat all mine as a sentient being in a family and there isn't any replacement for a sentient being in the family.

If you are a BYC member who comes here to read on this forum, you probably have heard too many stories about EYP. There isn't any cure, prevention nor treatment for it. As far as all the materials I've been reading and researching, most could try to prolong the life of a hen, but I think all would eventually succumb to the deadly blow of EYP.

Then that brings me to the question as to if there IS a safe, and reliable medical treatment to prevent a hen from laying.

I've heard about injecting Lupron - does anyone know how this really work?

I have two hens left and one is a RIR - she is roughly 4 years old and did go through a few times of laying eggs with no shell. She managed to pull through some rocky roads, and she got lucky that she's still with me. Her condition was probably not as bad as my other hen who was Very Recently passed away. I am now very strict to what I feed my hen, and will try to give them necessary vitamins, calcium and exercises for their overall well-being. However, I truly do not want this one to go through any episode of egg-laying complication.

Thus, I do not want my hen to lay anymore. I do know about limiting daylight time, and alternating feed so it discourages hen from laying, but I guess I'm trying to see if there's another way to put an end to the egg production for my hens and for future hens that I will raise. I have a feeling it is not natural, nor safe for a hen not to lay, but I think I've read enough stories in here about egg-laying problems that I feel perhaps I could get your opinions, and knowledge for a safe way to eliminate the egg production cycle for my hen. Also, I think It is difficult to know any breeder who truly and sincerely breeds chicks for longevity because almost everyone wants to raise hens for eggs, so the longevity factor of breeding a hen who can live at least 5 years without going through egg-laying complications is quite rare, in my opinion. However, perhaps you do know a breeder who cares enough about the well-being of these sentient beings, then I would be most appreciative if you can let me know the breeder(s).

Last comment: if you read my question above and you feel that I'm crazy and if you think you have an urge to chime in just to tell me so, or if you want to comment on how foolish I am then please, do me a favor, do not comment. I've heard many criticisms about how I treat and raise my hens, so I think you don't need to comment further. I thank you for doing so.

Thank you for reading and please help me, if you have an idea/ solution/ feedback to my question - I truly appreciate it.

Last edited:
I have no idea how to stop a hen from laying, since i want my hens to lay. But, when getting future birds, you may want to choose exhibition breeds or show type breeds. There are hens who naturally don't lay many eggs. Therefore, they will not have the stress of laying a daily egg.

Some pretty breeds that i keep as pets for fun are phoenix (they are beautiful but not as friendly, a bit skittish), Cochin (I love these!! Bantams and standard, they are friendly, adorable, and funny. My favorite breed EVER! They don't lay too many eggs, but they lay more than the phoenix.

There are more than that, those are just too of my favorites :) If i were you, i would get a breed that won't stress itself trying to lay eggs (don't give up your current ones of course, just in the future
wink.png
)

I think it is natural for a hen to lay eggs, but it is definitely hard on a breed that was bred to produce lots of eggs.

Well, sorry i couldn't be more help :)

Oh, and BTW, your not crazy. To you, your chickens are like a dog. A pet and a friend, not a worker :) I run a homestead, but i totally have animals (a little more than my parents would like) that are my best buddies, and i don't care if they cost me a lot of money to keep, and give me nothing in return, i would never kill them or get rid of them when they stop laying eggs, or giving me milk etc :)

Oh, and sorry about your loss, that must have been really hard. I recently lost one of my favorite cochin girls, and am still super sad :(

There is a procedure where an avian vet can place some kind of hormonal implant that prevents a chicken from laying eggs. I don't have a link right off hand, but you can easily Google it for more info.

MrsB

Hi cityfarmer - Thanks so much for your thoughts and feedbacks. I'll definitely look into the breeds you mentioned and I do like bantam! My hen who has recently passed away (she actually passed away just 2 hours ago) is a BO. There are lots of mixed feelings about this breed, but I enjoy their sweet, docile and very angelic nature. However, I guess it's difficult to find a good breeder for BO these days.

I love reading about your love for animals! I do, too - spend quite a bit of money at the vet for my chickens (please don't ask me how much I had spent...) Thank you for letting me know as it gives me so much comfort to know there are still kindness for the animals out there from people like you!

glad i could help :) I have a BO too, she was a rescue that i got along with a bunch of other chickens and she is slowly warming up to me :) 2 hour is not long, that is so sad
hit.gif

I like bantams a ton! They are fun, and there are so many unique and colorful ones :)

Yeah, i love hearing about other peoples pets and animals too :) lol, man, i would not want to add up how much i've spent for my pets over the years, it would be a lot :)

Hi MrsBrooke - I just googled and the only thing I found was Suprelorin implants - was that what you were referring? Do you know anyone that had done this for the hen and if so, side effects?

Thanks so much for your comment - I truly appreciate it!

I don't know much about the implants except that I think it has to be done every few months. If there are free floating eggs in the belly, surgery is probably needed, and that I was quoted $1500 for. $1500, plus implants, that's not an option for me.

-Kathy

Last edited:
I'm not fortunate to have money grows on tree and my full-time job doesn't really pay me well either. But, I don't spend anything on myself at all and do save money to take care of my hens. It's priceless, in my opinion. They are such sweet, gentle, smart creatures with unique characteristics and personalities. I love them just like I love my "kid" (although I don't have any). I would drive for hours to get them to the right vet/ hospital and I would not mind waking up at night multiple times checking up on them when they were sick. I know they can't communicate with us....but I sincerely hope that whenever you speak of love to them, that they do understand/ feel how much you love them deeply. Thanks for loving the animals.....people like you are admirable and honestly, quite rare these days.

Kathy knows everything. <3

I believe they do know. Animals, I think, have a sixth sense for "intention."

It's why I softly whisper, "I mean you no harm" when I am offering them home vet care... Even if they can't understand me, I hope they can feel it. :)

MrsB

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom