Is there a schedule you use to add/reduce your flocks?

churchx3

Songster
9 Years
Mar 30, 2010
Georgia
I bought my first chickens in March 2010. I currently have 20+ and approx 7 have started to lay. I noticed in looking thru Craigslist and the Farmers Market Bulletin there seems to be alot of "new chicks" and roosters/pullets for sale. My thinking would be to keep my current flock "as is" until the Spring but am thinking that experienced poultry owners may actually have a schedule of when they add to their flock and reduce/replace their flock...just wanting to know the thinking behind it in case I need to rethink my plan. I mean why would you have babies now with winter coming?? Why would you add pullets with egg laying decreasing when the days getting shorter??
hmm.png

In warmer winter climates I'm guessing that some people choose to raise chicks in the winter when grown hens don't lay much anyway. Then those chicks would start laying just as soon as the days get longer in the Spring, when those of us with cold winters are just starting to raise chicks. Most Spring chicks don't lay until late Aug / Sept, then will slow way down sometimes over the winter.

I know for some of us, we plan on increasing in spring to have layers in winter. For those that cull many do it in fall and early winter to reduce numbers and feed bill. My plan is thus late spring hatchings and late fall early winter cullings. Since I have to wait a year for my color line in my breed to develope this means the chickens I am getting rid of are just over a year and a half old.

What you see on craigslist are people looking to make money. They are not true breeders in that they are working toward and with a SOP. They are just producing chickens to make money. Beware most have too many and will carry lice and other problems.

Quote:
I don't buy from Craigslist just like to look at what people are selling...most of the birds I have bought have been hatchery birds or from breeders. I have grown fond of my girls now so do not want to do anything to put them at risk. Was even considering in the Spring buying a trio of birds and actually hatching/raising my own purebreeds in lieu of buying...at this point all I have are hens but would like to have some hatched the old fashioned way.

Back
Top Bottom