Is there a secret to moving the chickens from floor/nest to roost?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pugmom, Jun 19, 2009.

1. pugmom

pugmom Hatching

Jun 19, 2009
    Good evening! New chicken owner here...I have 8 11 mos. old hens that I just purchased (2 Australorps, 2 silver laced wyandots, two red sex links, to RIR).

The problem I have is that only my silver laced hens will sleep on the roost. The rest are on the floor or in the nests.

I've done everything this forum has reccomended-I've placed golf balls in the nests which has not worked. I tried to move the hens tonight to the roosts while they were sleeping. I was very quiet, but the RIR started screaming when I picked her up which woke up the other chickens.

What do I do?

2. goldenluver

goldenluver Songster

May 20, 2009
    Springfield, Oregon
    it could be that it is to dark in the coop when they go in. can you put a light in there that you can turn off aftyer dark?
    I only nhad to do this for the first few days and then they came in a little earlier so they could see to get on the roosts.

3. toritori

toritori Chirping

May 2, 2011
    Saranac Inn, NY
    Is it that big a deal if they don't roost? We have Silkies and they are know for not roosting (they sleep in a pile like puppies). We just got 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes they roost on anything and everything they can get their little feet on.

4. chfite

chfite Songster

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    My barred rocks roost,the new hampshires sleep in a pile.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: