Is there a such thing as too many chicks?!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Must Be Losing It, May 6, 2009.

1. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I had an unfortunate incident occur where 12 of my most prized birds were victims to a two legged predator. I lost all of my gorgeous silkies that I hatched from Flufnstuff, my gorgeous araucana roo and hen, my salmon faverolle hen and my whole flock of gorgeous light brahmas. So in an effort to put my stock back together of quality birds I went on an egg/chick shopping spree.

Question. At what point do you have too many chicks? Is it when your husband starts raising his eyebrows? Or is it when you actually forget what breeds you have?

Since this unfortunate incident I have hatched 12 black/lavendar Orbs, 5 turkeys, received two split shipments from ideal with friends and now have two dozen eggs in the incubator.

I'm thinking I still need a few more.

[​IMG]

2. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    I believe ChickenZoo's husband stopped counting hers at 300.

I don't know - It's really fun to have them. They're really entertaining. I started with 3, wentback and got 2 more. Lost all but 1 to a predator. Now I really don't know how many I have. I have lots of chicks, lots of quail, about a dozen turkeys, a dozen pheasants, ducks, call ducks - gotta love those little cuties, more ducks in the bator, more quail in the bator. Course a lot are destined for the table so that makes it ok. Got geese coming for my birthday (well right after it) and more ducks in that shipment. Plan on getting more wood ducks.

Oh, that's right I have guinea birds. I don't know how I could forget them. Not to mention the horses, need another of those, dogs, getting a puppy this summer, bunnies, and goaties (all does are bred) so I'll soon be having goaties for sale.

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I beleive there is no limit in my book. I am at 50+ and still going strong.

4. Peeper7

Peeper7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    There is no such thing as too many chicks ! [/img][​IMG] ... as I recently explained to my husband my second and third incubators and 4th shipment of hatching eggs and order of 28 peeps from hatchery and peeps from Tractor Supply in my bathtub all in the last month.

If everything hatches I'll have 16 turkeys and about 88 various chicks. How could anyone say that is too many. [​IMG]

We've gone way beyond raised eyebrows... [​IMG]

The way we calculate "normal" in our society is to see how many people are doing the same thing [​IMG] and if you look at this BYC site, almost EVERYONE is chickaddicted sooo it must be normal sooo if hubby objects he must NOT be normal. Be sure to share this with him.

He can come to the support group.....[​IMG]

5. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Nope. There IS a such thing as too little space or money, but there's no such thing as too much chickens! [​IMG]

6. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:I am having that issue right now.

7. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    There can never be enough.........[​IMG]

8. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    As if you'd actually stop [​IMG]

9. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Hey Lurky,

I like your new avatar. And you're right. The more the merrier. My husband doesn't know about the dozen silkie chicks coming in next week that I bought from a breeder.

Yikes!

10. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:new silkies?????? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by