Is there a way to disintegrate eggs inside a chicken? (Chicken has been egg bound for about 2 months. -acts completely normal-)

MyUserNamee

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 22, 2016
First off,, we would have had no clue she was egg bound if it weren't for the fact she's a pet chicken we pick up just about everyday.
Her eggs aren't near her vent so she still eats and poops normally, she acts like a happy chicken from my view.

When we took her to the vet, they x-rayed her and said she wasn't just egg bound with one egg but 6, and that they'd never seen anything like this. (but we can't go and do surgery on a chicken.) I don't think they were expecting her to live long after the visit, but...she has live quite a long time after the visit?
She also seemed to think we were doing everything we could do for an egg bound chicken.

I did realize she does feel heavier then she use to at this point, so I assume it must be she has accumulated more then 6 eggs at this point.
I just thought since this doesn't really seem like an emergency case where the chicken will die if you don't act right away, that maybe there's the potentially other options for us to remove her eggs that isn't likely to show up in a search engine since this situation isn't common enough?

If anyone had any ideas that'd be great, I'm not sure what to do for her, the baths, olive oil, attempting to guide the egg and giving her extra calcium did nothing.

Sounds more like internal laying. If she were actually eggbound, she wouldn't be able to poop, and that would have killed her after a few days
Thanks for the response!
I went to look that up since I'd never heard of it before.
Based on what I read, at the time we took her to the vet I don't think that was the issue, because she said the 6 eggs she had were all in her oviduct. (All being different sizes)

If she's developed new eggs, which I assume she has, I wouldn't be able to tell where those would've went.

Thanks for the response!
Based on what I read, at the time we took her to the vet I don't think that was the issue, because she said the 6 eggs she had were all in her oviduct. (All being different sizes)

If she's developed new eggs, which I assume she has, I wouldn't be able to tell where those would've went.
You may want to treat it as egg bound and help her lay

Thanks for the response!

I agree with @JacinLarkwell that sounds more like internal laying then being egg bound. Egg binding kills fairly quickly without treatment (1-3 days) so she would have passed early on.

Internal laying is usually genetic or from an infection/trauma.

There isn't really a treatment. You can get her an implant to stop her from laying internally, but the build up of bacteria and egg yolk is eventually fatal. There's also surgery, but you'd have to seek out an avian vet.

http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/internal-layer

Last edited:
I agree with @JacinLarkwell that sounds more like internal laying then being egg bound. Egg binding kills fairly quickly without treatment (1-3 days) so she would have passed early on.

Internal laying is usually genetic or from an infection/trauma.

There isn't really a treatment. You can get her an implant to stop her from laying internally, but the build up of bacteria and egg yolk is eventually fatal. There's also surgery, but you'd have to seek out an avian vet.

http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/internal-layer
I guess the reason it sounds like it's not that to me was due to this line "When a hen is an internal layer, instead of the yolk getting taken into the oviduct, it is released into her body."

Since they were taken into her oviduct and stayed there, that makes it sound different to me? Unless I'm taking the line too literally and it can be either way then maybe it is that. (Guess with either condition sounds like not much can be done which stinks.)

I'm kind of wondering why the vet never at least suggested anything to stop her from laying now though, they were an avian vet.

Thanks for you input though!

Ultimately, both conditions are fatal, with egg binding causing death within days and internal laying dragging out over a longer period of time. Sounds like your girl is laying internally. If this is the case, then the best that you can hope for without veterinarian assistance is to keep her comfortable but be emotionally prepared for the eventual conclusion to her illness.
Keeping you and your feathered family in my prayers.

Back
Top Bottom