is there a withdrawal of eggs if you use acv

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CrestedGirl, Sep 5, 2011.

1. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I am using a tablespoon of ACV (apple cider vinegar) per gallon of water. I have a couple of questions. how long should i leave it in their water? and Is there a withdrawal of eggs? thanks [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Gosh, no. I make a tea from ACV myself when I have a cold. It's just vinegar, after all, not a medication. You can leave it in till they drink it all or they mess it up and you have to refill it. Just don't put it in a metal waterer.

3. CrestedGirl

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    thank you!!!!! [​IMG]

4. CrestedGirl

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    i have read that you have to use the kind with mother in it, what would happen if i gave them some ACV without mother in it, would it hurt them?

5. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Quote:No. It just wouldn't work very well to kill bacteria.

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    No, it won't hurt them. You just won't get the full benefits if you would have used the ACV With the Mother.

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

It is still a great preventative and source of vitamins and minerals, so go ahead. No matter what type of ACV I use, my customers rave over the taste of my eggs when I am consistent in it's use. I agree with them...it seems to lessen the strong sulfur smell and taste and leave a pure, clarified tasting egg behind.

8. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    I use organic ACV in my gals water every time I refill the container. No production problems and the eggs always taste fantastic! I'm not familiar with "mother"... what is that? [​IMG]

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

The mother is a gelatinous glob in unpastuerized vinegar that contains the fungus spores that develop when apple juice is allowed to ferment. It contains beneficial microorgasms that can help improve a digestive system, boosts the immune system and increases the occurence of vitamins, minerals, etc. in your ACV. You can also piece it out to other jugs of apple juice to get your own vinegar growing a nice culture of the same.

10. abejita

abejita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    you can't use acv in a metal waterer, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by