Is there an animal that will provide me with meat, milk and fiber?

When you said 'fiber' I thought you meant something else
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

We've had Angoras and they didn't produce great volumes of milk like the dairy breeds of goats...and the cold and damp is hard on them. Plus, they are very susceptible to lice. ICK!
Pygoras are great - but careful of the fiber - it can vary greatly from animal to animal...if the fiber quality is important, buy an older kid with a good bit grown in so you know what you are getting...Not a lot of meat on them though.
We vote for sheep. East Friesans are famous milkers...but if you are cold and damp, you might consider Icelandics. They were the primary source of dairy in Iceland for many hundreds of years!!! They are easy keepers, we love ours! We have also found a better market for lamb than we ever did for chevon (goat meat.)
Wish you well on your quest!!!

If anyone tells you that sheep aren't friendly and that they are stupid, difficult to raise, prone to illness and difficult lambing
(we need a new smiley with hands over the ears
>not listening, la la la<) My Icelandic sheep are like dogs. This is Eustacia...she like to have her armpits scratched...Wish you weren't so far away...I'd love to have you meet the flock!
23539_p1170123_small.jpg

Stop it. No more pictures.
barnie.gif
droolin.gif

I love Icelandic sheep!
love.gif
I always wondered if they would be able to talk Icelandic to our Icelandic Horse.

If I end up murdered it's going to be because I saw these cute Icelandic sheep pictures on the Internet and HAD to bring one home.
wink.png
DH would kill me!

Last edited:
Where are you Bearded Chick? Come to the farm....(spoken with a low, hypnotic voice....)I have some other pictures on the website...lots...slideshows of sheep...what can I tempt you with...spots? Striped horns and feet? babies?
Here's another one of the same girl just born:
23539_eustacia_little.jpg

Funny thing...before I found Icelandics I was an avowed sheep hater...I even said we would never have sheep on the farm. Now I only have 23, and only 19 are pregnant (3 are boys, so they aren't...), and only 16 or so are expecting twins around Easter...They're like potato chips
pop.gif
you can't have just one, only lots more fun, and not fattening...They even come in a variety of colors and patterns...horns or no horns...There is white, red, brown, silver, spots...

Once you get an Icelandic sheep for your Icelandic horse, you'll need an Icelandic chicken...BTW - does anyone on the list have them??? Then you'll need to go to Iceland to learn Icelandic...

Last edited:
I am DYING to go to Iceland and go horse-trekking.

When I am free to travel, that will be my first and possibly my last stop (not sure I'll ever leave once I get there!).

I am going to look at your website, and I will curse you all the while!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom