1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is there an easy way to hammer in fence staples?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by HelfieJ, Jul 25, 2012.

1. HelfieJ

HelfieJ Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Is there an easy way to hammer in fence staples? They are so hard to hold without hammering my finger! I feel like there is a much easier way to do it seeing as I have little hands and man hands are usually much bigger.

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    If you find one let me know.. we did our own fencing for our horses.. i was so sick of fence staples by the end of it.. [​IMG]

3. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Don't try to hold the staple like you would a nail. Hold the staple in between the middle and index fingers, with the bottom of the fingers facing you. That way you have more of the staple exposed to hit instead of your fingers.
    Jack

4. MySuburbanLife

MySuburbanLife Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2012
    Suburban Seattle
    Fence staples are a pain in the behind! After finishing one panel of hardware cloth with them, I gave up and went a different direction: screws backed by a 1" washer. Much faster, much less dangerous for my precious thumbs, and looks to be more secure of a fastening.

If you still want to do fence staples, maybe try holding it in place with needlenose pliers while you hammer?

1 person likes this.
  5. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Maryland
    Needle nose pliers are the way to go. I grew up out west fencing with barbed wire for cattle, and that was the only way I did it without hurting myself. Hundreds of miles before I sorted that out, lol

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Most staples are also spread too far when they come out of the box.

A light tap to close them up a little will make them easier to drive

7. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Screws with washer or TEK screws are the ONLY way to go. Immensely strong and easily removable if needed. Worth the cost of a rechargeable drill many times over. I have built two coops in the last year and would NEVER use staples for fastening.

8. jardog1820

jardog1820 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2012
    Lakewood Colorado
    Yeah, I make my pay my uncle to do it. Everytime I heard him yell when he smashes a finger I smile and think well worth the little $ I'm paying him.

9. PEI chicken

PEI chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    I used needle nosed pliers to hold small staples just this week. Used them to attach a chicken wire skirting at the bottom of the moveable chicken tractor. I need to lift the skirting each time the pen is moved, so the staples worked as hinges when attached to the bottom of the pen. I don't think I could have accomplished this without the needle nosed pliers to hold the staples while hammering.[​IMG]

10. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I've driven a lot of staples using my method, learned a looong time ago, and my fingers would tell you that's the way to go. Needle nose pliers? If I was ever seen using them to help drive in fence staples, I'd never hear the end of it around here.
    Jack

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by