Is there an easy way to hammer in fence staples?

I have similar problems. I use not just regular needle-nose pliers -but Vise Grip needle-nose. That way I can lock on the staple and hold it steady. Wouldn't begin fencing without one. And you'll find plenty of other good uses for this tool.

I bought this nice tool, it is light weight enough for women and the head has sharp waves that catch the staple. Cut my hammering time in half. It cuts as well but not as well as tin snips do.

Attachments

• 15315016426315672797499252991345.jpg
    15315016426315672797499252991345.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 71
That tool is called fence pliers. Useful for a lot of things when building fence.

There are two different types of fence staples (we called them steeples) you may encounter. One type is only 3/4" or smaller and may say "poultry netting staples" on the box. Those are kinda tough to do, but Jack E described it right. You hold them between your index and middle finger, fingerprints facing out towards the hammer. Tap it to start it, then get your fingers out of the way. If you have fat chubby fingers, then one of the needle nosed tools will help save em.

Second kind is the heavier fencing staples, used to nail barbed wire, brace wire, etc, to a wooden fence post. Treat those like regular nails. If you can drive those all the way down into seasoned black locust or hedge posts (aka, ozark orange, bodark, etc) without bending them, then you are the real deal. :thumbsup

Old thread, but still to answer this question; woven wire is stronger than welded wire, so it is more expensive. Any fencing is better than none, but hardware cloth with woven wire, fence stapled into framing, and then covered with 1"x 4" boards screwed into that framing, is what we did here, FINALLY, when we upgraded our small covered run.
Predator proofing is a struggle between safety and cost, and tends to get improved over time, and disasters.
Mary

Thanks for the prompt response, Mary. We will go ahead and use U staples. Found a fantastic fence at the end. It is welded, but is hinged in last 500mm on the top to bed outwards for further protection and matching hinged skirting that bends outwards. Fingers crossed all goes well!

I find fence staples easy to steer as you hammer them in... you can't just drive it in like a nail you have to steer it straight in with the hammer. I have fencing pliers the kind with a hammer but never seem to find it when driving fence staples in... anyway I can't recall ever hitting my thumb or finger with a hammer while driving a staple in. You do have to pay close attention to the staple as you start it as not all staples are the same. You also have to pay attention to the spot your about to put the staple... a knot is not a good place to try and put a staple.

JT

Is there an easy way to hammer in fence staples? They are so hard to hold without hammering my finger! I feel like there is a much easier way to do it seeing as I have little hands and man hands are usually much bigger.
I have used needle nosed pliars to hold the obnoxious things, while I hammer.

Back
Top Bottom