Is there any benefit to Manna Pro Water Protector?

Half Moon Ranch

Songster
7 Years
Feb 17, 2014
I have two watering systems, one is a gravity fed bucket to nipple system and secondly the standard one gallon waterer.
The reservoir (bucket) in the nipple system seems to stay fresh, especially since there is a lid with no chance of contamination from poop, litter, dirt, etc...
The other standard system is more problematic with some contamination and thus it gets the stinky slime thing before a gallon of water is even used up.
I swish the trough out twice or three times daily, smell and change it constantly, but still the same result.
I try to keep two different watering systems in order to provide more than one place and choice to water since we have both buff orps and silkies and the two seem to keep to themselves.

I bought a bottle of the Manna pro water protector thinking it would help preserve the water, but I was wondering if anyone had used it.
The bottle says it's "all natural". The ingredients are water, yeast, citric acid and potassium sorbate.
I noticed when I opened it, it itself looks cloudy and like it has sediment in it, which I didn't know if that was normal.
So, safe, beneficial, or not?
I'm thinking anything is better than stinky, slimy water.

I use nothing but the horizontal water nipples in my 2-1/2 gallon buckets.....what a dream!!! No more dirty water to clean up every day..yay! You couldn't pay me to use one of the old-style waterers.

I use nothing but the horizontal water nipples in my 2-1/2 gallon buckets.....what a dream!!! No more dirty water to clean up every day..yay! You couldn't pay me to use one of the old-style waterers.

I did notice that the water in the bucket smelled fresh after days.
I guess it's the closed system that does the trick.
We were still working on our horizontal nipple system, so we resorted to a traditional waterer.
I reckon I need to expand on the system and phase out the waterers.

Nipples, y'all, is the only way to go. Just watch your chickens, they love that fresh water. Drinking out of nipples is clean and fresh and there is no chickens-hit in the water. I prefer my drinking water without chicken waste as well. Even my guinea hens prefer the nipple to the alternative.

I did notice that the water in the bucket smelled fresh after days.
I guess it's the closed system that does the trick.
We were still working on our horizontal nipple system, so we resorted to a traditional waterer.
I reckon I need to expand on the system and phase out the waterers.

I just bought this product and was wondering the same as your original post. Did you continue using it? Was it ok? The inside of my waterers get Slimey and stinky.

Some time ago I decided to "kick the bucket" so to speak and switch to nipple waterers.
I got tired of all the cleaning, wasting water and Rooster Booster.
You can get the nipples cheaply and make your own with a small plastic container, bucket or whatever depending on the size of your flock.
Plumber's thread tape and food grade silicone sealant helped prevent leaks.
Oddly enough I find the system to be more freeze resistant as well.
Best thing I ever did.

Some time ago I decided to "kick the bucket" so to speak and switch to nipple waterers.
I got tired of all the cleaning, wasting water and Rooster Booster.
You can get the nipples cheaply and make your own with a small plastic container, bucket or whatever depending on the size of your flock.
Plumber's thread tape and food grade silicone sealant helped prevent leaks.
Oddly enough I find the system to be more freeze resistant as well.
Best thing I ever did.

Really?? Ugh. I didn't want to hear that! LOL! More work. Seriously though, thank you. I will start looking into that. I have a small-ish flock and it's probably the best. I've been using the water protector for 2 days. No slime but still stink!

personally i think it's a way to make you pay more

beside feeds and pine shavings i'm not spending any thing else after the up front cost of the coop/run for my chickens

if you leave standstill water in some plastic container all day it will cause slime build up (even if the water is clean) this is why you need to clean out your drinking water containers 1 gallon- 5 gallon every now and then with water and a bit of bleach 1 teaspoon..

i clean out the waterer each day.. and 1-2 week will wash/scrub it with water with 1 teaspoon of bleach to disinfect it.. should clean out the slim and stench from it

then allow air dry -- then refill it with new water

Last edited:
I've found the nipple system to be far less work and less hassle.
No litter or poop in the waterers, no more tossing out gallons of contaminated water and no running gallons of water out the hose trying to rinse waterers out.
Some people use pvc to install the nipples in, fed by a bucket, but I found they tend to freeze in the winter.
Really?? Ugh. I didn't want to hear that! LOL! More work. Seriously though, thank you. I will start looking into that. I have a small-ish flock and it's probably the best. I've been using the water protector for 2 days. No slime but still stink!

Instead I installed the nipples in the bottom of thick plastic chick watering reservoirs, inverted them and crafted hangers out of clothes hangers to suspend the waterers on the inside of the runs.
They need topping off about once a day which is no big deal.

I use the Manna Pro and it has been great! It allows for me to wait till the waterer is empty before cleaning, and even then all I have to do is rinse it with the hose! I use it for my dogs waterer too and still only need about one bottle a month. Before this I had to clean my dogs waterer every day even though it is not in the sun. This stuff has been a life saver for me.

Back
Top Bottom